Frequently asked questions
Current vacancies can be viewed by visiting job search page.
Find the relevant vacancy and select the position title. On this page you will see some information about Working at Deakin and a link to the full position description.
- Utilise the search function* or browse the list of jobs at you leisure
- Select the position you wish to apply for
- For full details of the position, including the Key selection Criteria, scroll to the bottom of the page and click view file (see below image)
- This will open up a pop-up or PDF file outlining the position. If this does not occur please see Note below.
- Click Apply on the Deakin Careers site
- If this is your first time applying for a position with Deakin since September 2015 click register now (our new system requires applicants to register first)
- Enter your details as required
- Please read all instruction as they contain important information about the application process.
- Select I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions then click next. From here, follow the steps as directed to complete the application process.
*You can also save searches and be alerted in future when searches matching your criteria become available.
Note: Position descriptions are saved as a pdf and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to open. Adobe Acrobat Reader is available from the Adobe Reader site. If you are still unable to view the position description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +613 9246 8139 and state the vacancy reference number.
- If you are trying to access the position using a mobile or tablet device you may encounter some difficulty, we are aware of this issue and are working on rectifying it.
- Sometimes a position description may not open due to "pop ups" being blocked.
In Safari,go to the Safari Menu > Preferences > Security (tab) and then uncheck "Block pop-up windows".
In Chrome on Windows > settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy - Content
Settings > Popups - Manage Exceptions and Add the webpage address you are trying to view
- Select Tools from the Mozilla Firefox taskbar
- Select Options from the drop-down menu
- Select Content from the Options dialog box
- To disable all pop-ups, uncheck the Block pop-up windows radio button
- Select Close
- Click Firefox
- Click Preferences
- Select Content
- Un-check Block pop-up windows
To register your interest in casual employment opportunities that may arise at Deakin, there is a casual register (vacancy reference 150001) where you can enter your work preferences, availability and other details as well as attaching your CV and contact details.
hiring managers across the University have access to the applications in the
register. They refer to it when they need to employee a casual staff
member in their area. Generally, there will not be an interview and casual
needs can be anything from a few hours, to a few days, weeks or even months.
To register your interest in casual employment opportunities click on the 'Apply' button. Fill in your details, answer some basic questions and attach a cover letter and resume. The questionnaire will ask about your hours of availability, previous experience and skills. You will be contacted directly if an opportunity arises that you may be suitable for.
To register your interest in working as a casual, select your preferred position type and click on the 'Apply Now' button. Fill in your details, answer some basic questions and attach a cover letter and resume. The questionnaire will ask about your hours of availability, previous experience and skills. You will be contacted directly if an opportunity arises that you may be suitable for.
Note: On 1 January of every year, all applications are deleted from the casual registers but current registrants will be contacted to prompt them to re-apply for the following year.
Once your application has been submitted, a successful submission message will appear on the confirmation page. This confirmation page can be printed for your own records.
You will also receive an automatic acknowledgement to the email address supplied almost immediately. If you do not receive a response please check that the provided email address is correct.
If you are still having difficulties, please call +613 9246 8139 and have your name and the vacancy number ready or email email@example.com and quote your name and the vacancy reference number.
Once the short list has been completed, you will be called and/or emailed by either Human Resources or the hiring area directly to invite you to interview.
Note: There may be a delay in short listing for a number of reasons. Human Resources will endeavour to notify all candidates as soon as possible.
Yes, you can do this online by logging into your account. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, state your name and the vacancy reference number and your request. If you are making amendments please attach these and be clear about which documents to replace.
Depending on your situation and what type of employment you are looking for you may be eligible to apply for a temporary, permanent or student visa. If you are not an Australian citizen you are required to provide a copy of the appropriate visa prior to commencing any employment at Deakin. We recommend you contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) for advice.
If you are successful for interview, Human Resources or the hiring area will provide advice as to the options available to attend - whether in person or remotely.
Deakin University may provide travel and relocation assistance to new staff relocating from either interstate or overseas in order to take up a position with the University. The contact person stated in the job advertisement will be able to provide advice as to whether this assistance is available for the position.
There are several fields within the online application form that are mandatory and you will not be able to progress your application until something is entered in this field. You will need to fill in all mandatory information.
Please also double check you have entered an appropriate email address including the "@" symbol.
It is preferred that all documentation is combined into one attachment.
In the Attachments section at the bottom of the online application form:
- Click on the browse button
- Use the choose file box to locate your attachment
- Highlight the document you wish to attach and click on 'Open'
Please ensure that the file name contains no white spaces and is less than 30 characters long.
It is preferred that all documents are attached as a single PDF or Doc file only. The file cannot be more than 2MB.