- Salary range $86,389 - $99,046 pa (plus 17% super)
- Full-time and continuing
- Location: Geelong Waterfront Campus
- Closing date: Sunday 10 August, 2014
- More information: Shawna Sadler, Tel: +613 5227 8204
The Open Access Librarian manages the Library's Open Access program and represents the Library's interests regarding all aspects of open access, within Deakin University, locally, nationally and internationally. Specifically, the Open Access Librarian plans, develops, delivers and evaluates an Open Access program encompassing:
- Digital access and preservation
- Institutional repository program and scholarly reporting coordination
- Digital library system integration and interoperability
- Data management and preservation
- Digitisation, special projects
The Open Access Librarian oversees activities which contribute Deakin collections to the open environment, as well as monitoring the scholarly and cultural open environment for collections which may be of use and interest to the Deakin community.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE TO
- Plan, develop, deliver and evaluate the Open Access program at Deakin, providing strategic direction so this program aligns with the University's strategic imperatives and research requirements.
- Ensure the library is an active member of the international Open Access community and communicates open access developments to the Deakin research community.
- Ensure the access and preservation of Deakin's open scholarly output by managing the institutional repository, open journal system and other systems relating to openly available digital content.
- Responsible for the on-going management of library system integration, coordination, interoperability and digitisation projects.
- Ensure the implementation of all University policies that relate to the areas for which the position is responsible, in particular, those relating to equal opportunity, occupational health and safety, risk management, staff development and staff performance planning and review.
- Degree and/or postgraduate qualification in library or information science, which qualifies for professional membership of the Australian Library and Information Association, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and training sufficient to undertake the duties required.
- Extensive experience relevant to the position, either in initiating library system developments, or in developing and implementing open access library initiatives.
- Evidence and record of leadership in managing of team of technically-minded staff, maintaining awareness of technological system trends, standards and best practices.
- Knowledge of the Open Access community, digital repositories, library, data management and digitisation systems.
- Knowledge of best practices for digitisation, metadata development and capture, and for the preservation of digital objects.
Deakin University is proud to be recognised as an organisation that offers a friendly and supportive working environment. Our staff are committed to genuinely making a difference to thousands of people's lives by contributing to excellence in their education. We acknowledge the importance of providing a dynamic and diverse working environment and strive to offer variety in day-to-day roles as well as various career and professional development opportunities to assist staff to grow and progress their careers. Deakin University staff have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from a diverse range of cultures and professional backgrounds, all who share a common interest in lifelong learning. Furthermore, our staff enjoy the physical location and natural surrounds of our working environments, which they report as enhancing their job satisfaction.
Alongside our international and Australian partners, Deakin University operates on four main campuses; Melbourne Burwood Campus, Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus, Geelong Waterfront Campus, and the Warrnambool Campus. We also have a location in the Melbourne and Warrnambool CBDs as well as learning centres across regional Victoria.