Strategic Intelligence and Planning Unit
The Strategic Intelligence and Planning Unit (SIPU) is part of the CFO Portfolio. We provide timely and accurate information to the university for planning and managerial decision-making, administer key university surveys, coordinate compliance reporting activities and provide advice on data-related issues.
SIPU staff have high-level skills and knowledge in the fields of data analysis and reporting, forecasting and modelling, survey administration and design, statistics and much more. We provide services and information to assist members of the university with decision-making and continuous quality improvement.
- Provision of management information to the university executive and faculties
- Provision of statistical information
- Coordination of the Federal Department of Education student data collection
- Planning and forecasting student enrolments and revenue
- Modelling and analysis to support planning and budgeting, fee setting, resource allocation and related activities
- Provision of advice on legislation and policy related to higher education administration and funding
- Administration, analysis and reporting on key strategic surveys including evaluations
- Provision of advice and assistance on survey design and analysis
- Development, maintenance and support of the Deakin Data Warehouse (DDW) and associated Business Intelligence technology (Cognos, SPSS, TM1)
- World University Rankings data submissions and briefings.
Data reporting and analytic services
SIPU provide a wide range of statistic and analytical services to Deakin staff. These include:
- Student Evaluation of Teaching and Units reports
- Deakin Business Intelligence (Cognos) − a resource which enables access to a range of data and statistical information
- SIPU Intranet (Wiki) − a resource with access to the latest data, reports and information available to Deakin Staff
- ad-hoc data requests − for data that is not readily available through the SIPU website and once-off requests
- survey services including survey checklists, procedures, design and management.
Staff only reports
Deakin staff are able to access all of our latest reports through the staff website. These reports include:
- university summary statistics and key performance indicators
- student load planning, forecasting and monitoring
- course metrics, including dashboards, course reviews and course experience feedback (CEQ)
- student retention and success reporting
- VTAC reporting
- student reporting including equity and diversity
- survey reports.
Most of SIPU’s work is available only to Deakin staff. However, our most well-known publication, Deakin at a Glance, is available publicly and is a handy reference of student, staff and financial data at Deakin University.