University Appeals Committee
Terms of reference and composition
(Approved by the Chair, Academic Board on 20 August 2013)
The University Appeals Committee (UAC) is a standing committee of the Academic Board established to hear and determine appeals by students against faculty and other university decisions.
Appeals may be lodged with this Committee pursuant to:
- Regulation 4.1(1)-General Misconduct
- Regulation 4.1(2)-Academic Misconduct
- Regulation 5.3(1)-Assessment and Academic Progress in Higher Education Award Courses
- Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) policy.
- to hear and determine appeals against decisions of Faculty Committees (FC), the Research and Research Training Committee (RRTC) or the Thesis Examination Subcommittee (TES) regarding Academic Progress and performance
- to hear and determine appeals against decisions of a FC not to consider a late submission to show cause
- to hear and determine appeals against decisions of a FC regarding Academic Misconduct (including misconduct in research), worth more than 10%
- to hear and determine appeals against decisions of full Student Misconduct Committees (SMC) regarding General Misconduct
- to hear and determine late appeal applications to the UAC for academic progress
- to report and make recommendations to the Academic Board regarding trends and issues arising from appeal hearings.
Rules of Operation
The Committee shall conduct its business subject to the Standing Orders of the Academic Board and its Committees (PDF, 138.0 KB) and subject to the following additional provisons:
- the Chair of the Committee shall be a professorial member of the Academic Board
- for HDR appeals, the UAC will include suitably qualified members who have experience of HDR supervision and/or management.
Two (2) members of the Academic Board, appointed by the Chair of the Academic Board, one who shall be chair and one who shall be deputy chair
Professor Damien Kingsbury (Chair)
Vacant (Deputy Chair)
Four (4) members, appointed by the Chair of Academic Board, including at least one member from each Faculty, or their nominees
Dr Kerrie Bridson, Faculty of Business and Law
Professor Malcolm Campbell, Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment
Associate Professor Tess Knight, Faculty of Health
Associate Professor Sally Totman-Marshall, Faculty of Arts and Education
One (1) member, appointed by the Chair of Academic Board, from the student population, or their nominee, whenever practicable
To be appointed as appropriate
Coopted members, appointed by the Chair of the Academic Board on a needs basis
To be appointed as appropriate.
The Secretary of the University Appeals Committee shall be a member of the Governance Unit.