Our reputation and history
Learn about Deakin's history and how we've rapidly grown to become one of Australia's most respected and awarded universities.
Awards and achievements
Deakin is renowned for:
- excellent teaching and innovative course delivery
- a student-focussed culture
- being accessible, helpful and friendly.
Deakin is a sector leader for student satisfaction, first in Victoria for the third consecutive year (Australian Graduate Survey).
Deakin was awarded a 5-star rating by the prestigious university ranking organisation Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). The rating indicates that the university is considered to be world-class in a broad range of areas, has cutting-edge facilities, and is internationally renowned of its research and teaching faculty. Deakin is ranked 66 in the world in the Times Higher Education Top 100 Universities under 50 years of age rankings (2013).
Teaching awards and research success
Deakin regularly does well in national awards for teaching excellence.
Deakin has achieved considerable success in ARC and NHMRC grants and the Australian government's Excellence in Research (ERA) initiative has assessed much of Deakin's research as being either world-class or above world standards.
Established in 1974, Deakin was Victoria's fourth university and the first in regional Victoria.
Deakin has been strengthened by a series of successful mergers with strong partners, each of whom has contributed significantly to our character and approach.
Today, Deakin operates in a global, connected world with the digital economy influencing every aspect of our activities.
Deakin facts and statistics
Deakin is Australia's 9th largest university with over 44,000 students, of whom approximately a fifth are international students from over 100 countries.
- We have more than 8,000 international students from over 100 different countries
- 40% of our domestic students, and 28% of our international students, are mature age (25 or older)
- 23% of our domestic students come from regional and remote areas
- 2% of our students are indigenous (the largest number of indigenous students at any Victorian University)
- Deakin employs more than 3,600 staff.
Deakin at a Glance 2012