Adrian Raftery is an Associate Professor in the Department of Accounting in Deakin Business School at Deakin University. Adrian completed his MBA and a Graduate Certificate in journalism from the University of Technology Sydney. He recently completed his PhD for examination with the School of Accounting at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), where his focus of research was on Australian Self-Managed Superannuation Funds. He specialises in business planning, financial planning and tax.
Despite being called it for years, many people confuse Mr Taxman with the ATO. "Consider 'Mr Taxman' as being the good cop compared to 'The Taxman' as being the bad cop... a subtle but important difference", says Adrian.Read more on Adrian's profile
- Australian Business Awards for Service Excellence (2008)
- Australian Business Awards for Community Contribution (2008 and 2010)
- Named in Top 50 companies by www.smartcompany.com.au (2008 and 2009)
- Named in the Masterclass Top 50 in Australia for financial planners by Personal Investor magazine and BT (2006 and 2007)
- Represented Australian Masters’ AFL v Ireland in six International Rules Tests (2006, 2008 & 2009)
- Played in EJ Whitten Legends AFL match for All Stars (2009)
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA).
- Fellow, Financial Services Institute of Australasia (FINSIA).
- Chartered Tax Adviser, Taxation Institute of Australia.
- Certified Financial Planner, Financial Planning Association.
- Certified Practising Accountant, CPA Australia.
- Corporate Accounting
- Financial Planning
- Income Tax
- Small Business Accounting
- MAF255 Financial Planning
- MAF311 Superannuation Planning
- MAF312 Advanced Financial Planning
- MAF708 Retirement Income Streams
- MAF709 Financial Planning Development
- MAF765 Financial Planning and Analysis
- Financial Planning
- AFAANZ Conference, Melbourne, July 2012
- AAA Auditing Section Mid-Year Conference and Doctoral Consortium, New Orleans, USA, January 2013
- AFAANZ Doctoral Consortium, Perth, July 2013
- UNSW Colloquium of Superannuation Researchers, Sydney, July 2013
- EARNet Doctorial Consortium, Trier, Germany, September 2013
- QARN, Auckland, NZ, October 2013
- ANCAAR, Canberra, December 2013
- JCAE, Malaysia, January 2014
- EAA Congress, Tallinn, May 2014
- BAFA Audit & Assurance Conference, UK, May 2014
- AFAANZ Conference, Auckland, July 2014
- PhD Scholarship - UTS Accounting Discipline Group, 2011
- Top-up PhD Scholarship from CIFR, 2013
- People’s Choice Winner of 3 Minute Thesis competition UTS Business, 2013.
- AFAANZ representative at 2014 EAA Colloquium, Talinn, Estonia
- Voted in top twenty postgraduate lecturers in the UTS Business School, 2012 & 2013
M Bradbury, A Raftery, T Scott
(2018), Vol. 14, pp. 52-64, Journal of contemporary accounting and economics, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
R Bird, F Foster, J Gray, A Raftery, S Thorp, D Yeung
(2018), Vol. 43, pp. 373-403, Australian journal of management, London, Eng., C1
B Arnold, H Bateman, A Ferguson, A Raftery
(2017), Vol. 36, pp. 161-180, AUDITING: a journal of practice & theory, Sarasota, Florida, C1
A Ferguson, G Pundrich, A Raftery
(2014), Vol. 33, pp. 153-180, Auditing: a journal of practice and theory, Sarasota, Florida, C1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Industry and Other Funding
SMSFs: What is the real cost?
A/Prof Adrian Raftery, Dr Ameeta Jain
- 2014: $4,100
The costs, benefits and trade-offs associated with professionalising the Australian Financial Planning industry
A/Prof Adrian Raftery, Dr Campbell Heggen, Mr Michael Kerry
- 2014: $5,000
IRESS Knowledge Centre Development
A/Prof Adrian Raftery, Dr Campbell Heggen, Mr Marc Olynyk
- 2018: $8,500
- 2017: $10,800
No completed student supervisions to report