- 2013-present: Research Fellow (Grade 2) at Deakin University, Warrnambool campus.
- 2011-2013: Physical Oceanographer / Hydrographic Surveyor at MetOcean Solutions Limited (New Plymouth, New Zealand). Multibeam and Sidescan sonar data acquisition and processing. Analysis of data from oceanographic model hindcast, oil spill trajectory models, Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers (ADCP).
- 2006-2011: Ph.D. in Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Waikato (Hamilton, New Zealand). Thesis title: Quantitative Comparison of Benthic Habitat Maps Derived From Multibeam Echosounder Backscatter Data. Single-beam, Multibeam and Sidescan sonar data acquisition and processing. Over 400 hours of cumulated time at sea at various ports, estuaries, lakes, and marine reserves in New Zealand North Island.
- 2005: Research fellow at the National Institute for Scientific Research (CNRS). Seabed characterization using Subbottom profilers.
- 2004: Master of Engineering at ENSTA Bretagne (Brest, France). Option Electronics – Signal Processing. Speciality Underwater Instrumentation.
- 2004: Intern (M.Eng. Thesis) at the Centre for Coastal and Ocean Mapping (CCOM-JHC), University of New Hampshire (Durham, NH, USA) under the supervision of Dr. Christian de Moustier and Prof. Larry Mayer. Tank calibration and water-column data analysis of ENL WASSP fisheries Multibeam prototype.
My main research interest is in general Underwater Acoustics Systems (Sonar) signal and data processing, with focus on Multibeam echosounders, but also sidescan sonars and sub-bottom profilers. This relates to applications such as:
- Benthic habitat mapping
- Seafloor geomorphology
- Sediment characterization through angular response analysis
- Coastal sedimentation processes
- Kelp distribution monitoring
I also apply my interest in Digital Signal Processing to other datat types such as UAV aerial imagery, accelerometers data, current and wind measurements, Lagrangian particle tracking models, etc.
- Acoustics 2008 (Paris, France)
- New Zealand Coastal Society conference 2008 (New Plymouth, New Zealand)
- GeoHab 2009 (Trondheim, Norway)
- Hydrographic Society Seminar 2009 (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Geohab 2010 (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Shallow Survey 2012 (Wellington, New Zealand)
- GeoHab 2011 (Wellington, New Zealand)
- GeoHab 2013 (Rome, Italy)
- GeoHab 2014 (Lorne, VIC, Australia)
Dr Mary Young, Dr Daniel Ierodiaconou, Mr Matt Edmunds, Mr Lachlan Hulands, Dr Alexandre Schimel
(2016), Vol. 163, pp. 1-13, Marine biology, Berlin, Germany, C1
Dr Daniel Ierodiaconou, Dr Alexandre Schimel, A/Prof David Kennedy
(2016), pp. 1-15, Annals of geomorphology, Berlin, Germany, C1
Dr Alexandre Schimel, Dr Daniel Ierodiaconou, Mr Lachlan Hulands, A/Prof David Kennedy
(2015), Vol. 111, pp. 52-68, Continental shelf research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
Mr Rozaimi Che Hasan, Dr Daniel Ierodiaconou, A/Prof Laurie Laurenson, Dr Alexandre Schimel
(2014), Vol. 9, pp. 1-14, PLoS One, San Francisco, Calif., C1
A/Prof David Kennedy, Dr Daniel Ierodiaconou, Dr Alexandre Schimel
(2014), Vol. 39, pp. 1663-1674, Earth surface processes and landforms, London, Eng., C1
Dr Alexandre Schimel, Terry R. Healy, David Johnson, Dirk Immenga
(2010), Vol. 67, pp. 1766-1779, ICES journal of marine science, London, England, C1-1
Dr Alexandre Schimel, Terry R. Healy, Peter McComb, Dirk Immenga
(2010), Vol. 26, pp. 714-725, Journal of coastal research, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., C1-1