- 2013-present: Research Fellow (Grade 2) at Deakin University, Warrnambool campus.
- 2011-2013: Physical Oceanographer / Hydrographic Surveyor at MetOcean Solutions Limited (New Plymouth, New Zealand). Multibeam and Sidescan sonar data acquisition and processing. Analysis of data from oceanographic model hindcast, oil spill trajectory models, Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers (ADCP).
- 2006-2011: Ph.D. in Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Waikato (Hamilton, New Zealand). Thesis title: Quantitative Comparison of Benthic Habitat Maps Derived From Multibeam Echosounder Backscatter Data. Single-beam, Multibeam and Sidescan sonar data acquisition and processing. Over 400 hours of cumulated time at sea at various ports, estuaries, lakes, and marine reserves in New Zealand North Island.
- 2005: Research fellow at the National Institute for Scientific Research (CNRS). Seabed characterization using Subbottom profilers.
- 2004: Master of Engineering at ENSTA Bretagne (Brest, France). Option Electronics – Signal Processing. Speciality Underwater Instrumentation.
- 2004: Intern (M.Eng. Thesis) at the Centre for Coastal and Ocean Mapping (CCOM-JHC), University of New Hampshire (Durham, NH, USA) under the supervision of Dr. Christian de Moustier and Prof. Larry Mayer. Tank calibration and water-column data analysis of ENL WASSP fisheries Multibeam prototype.
My main research interest is in general Underwater Acoustics Systems (Sonar) signal and data processing, with focus on Multibeam echosounders, but also sidescan sonars and sub-bottom profilers. This relates to applications such as:
- Benthic habitat mapping
- Seafloor geomorphology
- Sediment characterization through angular response analysis
- Coastal sedimentation processes
- Kelp distribution monitoring
I also apply my interest in Digital Signal Processing to other datat types such as UAV aerial imagery, accelerometers data, current and wind measurements, Lagrangian particle tracking models, etc.
- Acoustics 2008 (Paris, France)
- New Zealand Coastal Society conference 2008 (New Plymouth, New Zealand)
- GeoHab 2009 (Trondheim, Norway)
- Hydrographic Society Seminar 2009 (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Geohab 2010 (Wellington, New Zealand)
- Shallow Survey 2012 (Wellington, New Zealand)
- GeoHab 2011 (Wellington, New Zealand)
- GeoHab 2013 (Rome, Italy)
- GeoHab 2014 (Lorne, VIC, Australia)
D Ierodiaconou, A Schimel, D Kennedy
(2016), pp. 1-15, Zeitschrift fuer Geomorphologie: annals of geomorphology, Berlin, Germany, C1
M Young, D Ierodiaconou, M Edmunds, L Hulands, A Schimel
(2016), Vol. 163, pp. 1-13, Marine biology, Berlin, Germany, C1
A Schimel, D Ierodiaconou, L Hulands, D Kennedy
(2015), Vol. 111, pp. 52-68, Continental shelf research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
R Che Hasan, D Ierodiaconou, L Laurenson, A Schimel
(2014), Vol. 9, pp. 1-14, PLoS One, San Francisco, Calif., C1
D Kennedy, D Ierodiaconou, A Schimel
(2014), Vol. 39, pp. 1663-1674, Earth surface processes and landforms, London, Eng., C1
A Schimel, T Healy, D Johnson, D Immenga
(2010), Vol. 67, pp. 1766-1779, ICES journal of marine science, London, England, C1-1
A Schimel, T Healy, P McComb, D Immenga
(2010), Vol. 26, pp. 714-725, Journal of coastal research, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Other Public Sector Funding
Benthic habitat characterisation of Western Port Bay
A/Prof Daniel Ierodiaconou, Mr Sean Blake, Dr Alexandre Schimel, Dr Mary Young
- 2015: $13,312
Industry and Other Funding
Dune vegetation change and hooded plover habitat monitoring coastal ecology drones
A/Prof Daniel Ierodiaconou, A/Prof Mike Weston, Dr Alexandre Schimel, Dr Ty Matthews
- 2015: $2,545
- 2014: $2,545
UAV GIS Applications for wetland restoration in western Victoria
A/Prof Daniel Ierodiaconou, Dr Alexandre Schimel
- 2015: $5,000
No completed student supervisions to report