Dr Anne Kershaw is a senior lecturer in arts and cultural management and course director in the Department of Management at Deakin University. Additionally, she is the Deputy Director of Teaching and Learning (Postgraduate) within the Department of Management.
Anne brings 15 years of experience in local government arts and cultural work to her role with the Arts and Cultural Management program. Having originally trained and worked as a museum curator, Anne had a short stint as a business analyst in the corporate sector. She then returned to the arts sector, developing in-service museum training programs in the UK and teaching with Deakin's Museum Studies course.
However, it is in local and state government that Anne has undertaken most of her arts management work. She has written a range of arts strategies and arts policies; initiated and managed a number of art projects; planned and managed arts and cultural facilities; and undertaken a range of community cultural development initiatives. Her arts management experience has involved work with a range of different art forms, arts organisations, funding bodies, stakeholders and strategic priorities.
Anne's work has focused on communities with high levels of cultural diversity and areas characterised by social exclusion and socio-economic disadvantage. She has also worked extensively in outer metropolitan areas and in growth corridors. As a result, she has a strong commitment to access and inclusion in the arts and is particularly experienced in audience development, arts participation and community engagement in the arts.
Building on this extensive practitioner experience, Anne's teaching areas include arts marketing, event management and managing arts in a community setting. Local government, arts policy, collaborative practice, organisational entrepreneurship and work-based learning are areas in which Anne has particular research interests.Read more on Anne's profile
- Measuring What Matters – Evaluating Arts Impact, Creative Victoria Expert Events Panel, 2015
- VicHealth Arts About Us phase 2 program evaluation (2013-2015)
- Maribyrnong City Council Strategic Arts Framework (2012)
- City of Moonee Valley Arts Participation and Barriers Study (2012)
- Weaving Lands community art project, and touring of the associated Making of the Galgi-ngarrak Yiranboi Tree exhibition and sculpture
- Commissioning of Breeze by Aslam Akram at the Dallas Shopping Centre public art project, and project management of an accompanying community jobs program
- Commissioning of Rise by Anderson Hunt as part of the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games celebrations
- Coordination of the inaugural Hume Winter Music Festival
- Victorian state government goldfields community museum pilot
- Hume City Council Arts and Cultural Development Strategy (2010 & 2006)
- Hume City Council public art policy (2011)
- Launch of the Homestead Community Arts and Learning Centre
- 2012 Deakin University award for outstanding achievement in research partnerships. Research team: Audience engagement and participation in the arts.
- Arts and local government
- Arts and cultural policy
- Museum and community collaboration
- Postgraduate learning and student engagement
- Member, Creative Victoria's Panel Register.
- Arts marketing
- Managing arts in community settings
- Managing festivals and cultural events
- Event management
- Arts in community settings
- Local government work in arts and culture
- Museum and community collaboration
- Audience development and arts participation
- Arts and cultural policies and strategic plans
- Public art
- Higher education and professional development in arts management
- Deakin University Vice Chancellor Award for Teaching Excellence, 2015.
- Deakin University Faculty of Business and Law Award for Teaching Excellence, 2015.
- Deakin University award for outstanding achievement in research partnerships. Research team: Audience engagement and participation in the arts, 2012.
- Deakin University Commendation for Excellence in Teaching, 2012.
A Kershaw, K Bridson, M Parris
(2018), Vol. 77, pp. 19-34, Australian journal of public administration, Chichester, Eng., C1
K Johanson, H Glow, A Kershaw
(2014), Vol. 43, pp. 43-59, Poetics, Amsterdam, Netherlands, C1
K Johanson, A Kershaw, H Glow
(2014), Vol. 73, pp. 218-234, Australian journal of public administration, Melbourne, Vic., C1
H Glow, K Johanson, A Kershaw
(2014), Vol. 28, pp. 495-508, Continuum, Melbourne, Vic., C1
R Rentschler, U Jogulu, A Kershaw, A Osborne
(2012), Vol. 28, pp. 1464-1485, Journal of marketing management, Abingdon, England, C1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Other Public Sector Funding
Maribyrnong City Arts and Cultural Framework
A/Prof Katya Johanson, Dr Anne Kershaw, A/Prof Hilary Glow, Ms Marian De Groot
- 2012: $23,671
City of Moonee Valley Audience Research Report
Dr Anne Kershaw, A/Prof Katya Johanson, A/Prof Hilary Glow
- 2012: $20,000
Arts About Us Evaluation
A/Prof Hilary Glow, Dr Anne Kershaw, A/Prof Katya Johanson, Prof Yin Paradies
- 2015: $39,000
- 2014: $21,000
- 2013: $60,000
No completed student supervisions to report