Whether it’s sustaining the diversity of life on Earth, the viability of our work, or enjoyment of our environment, sustainability is central to maintaining our quality of life without compromising the needs of future generations.
Deakin Vice-Chancellor and President
Reporting on sustainability
We’re proud of our sustainability record and the changes we’ve made across our campuses to become more sustainable.
As one of the first universities in the world to have produced a report in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Guidelines in 2013, we’ve taken the lead in the sector and are committed to improving our sustainability practices year-on-year.
Sustainability vision statement
Deakin is committed to being a sector leader in sustainability. By embedding our principles in everything we do, we will minimise our environmental impact, maintain our financial viability and promote the social aspects of sustainability whilst nurturing and enabling our future leaders.
Carbon, energy and smart sustainable buildings
We track our carbon emissions and energy use to develop sustainable practices and buildings on our campuses.
Water, waste and recycling
We encourage staff and students to avoid, reduce, re-use and recycle wherever we can. We also use water economically and harvest rainwater to use across our operations.
We aim to minimise disruption to the natural ecosystems of each of our campuses by setting biodiversity principles across our building standards and campus experiences.
We recognise that the goods and services we purchase, as well as how we procure them, has an impact on sustainability.
That's why we:
- support suppliers who are socially responsible and who adopt ethical practices
- consider the environmental impact of our suppliers and contractors, as well as the life cycle of the goods they supply
- use Fairtrade (or equivalent), and ethically sourced/produced goods and services
- encourage local suppliers to bid for our business
- comply with all Australian sustainability-related regulations and legislation, and ensure our suppliers do the same
- train appropriate staff on valuing sustainability within our procurement process.