Health care and travel insurance
When relocating to Australia, travel insurance and health care are both important investments in case things don't go to plan. They may also be required under the conditions of your visa.
Victoria is proud of its robust healthcare system, with top medical services available. Under the Medicare system, eligible Australian residents receive free treatment public hospital patients, as well as reduced costs for out-of-hospital care.
Eligibility for health care
If you are in Australia on a temporary visa, you are not eligible for Medicare, unless you are from a country that has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia.
These countries are:
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom.
What happens if you’re not covered by Medicare?
If you're not covered by Medicare and don't have adequate health insurance, you will be required to pay for hospital or medical treatment. This can be very expensive.
Even if you are covered by Medicare, you may still wish to consider private health cover. This covers extra treatments like ancillary services such as dental work, optical, chiropractic and ambulance transport.
Travel insurance is a necessity when relocating. Policies vary greatly in what they cover and to what degree. We advise you determine what type of coverage you'll require before buying your insurance, in order to ensure you capture everything that's important to you. This might include:
- flight cancellations
- medical care
- stolen passports
- goods damaged in transit
Things you should consider when buying travel insurance include:
- Are you entitled to work with this travel insurance policy (some insurance policies may become void if you work)?
- What is the excess fee if you need to make a claim?
- Can you have the excess fee waived by paying a little more on your premium?
- What is the quality of the customer service like? Is it open 24 hours?
- How long does the company take to pay you once a claim has been approved?
- Does it cover the cost of doctor appointments and medications?
There are many insurance companies that will be able to meet your needs – here are just a sample.