Environmental Management Systems and Performance
The Environmental Management Systems and Performance program aims to assist individual areas within the University in implementing environmental sustainability programs. In addition, it aims to continually improve the University’s management of the environment in line with an Environmental Management System ISO 14001 approach.
- at least one Division or Faculty supported to implement an Environmental Management System (EMS) equivalent to ISO 14001 certification
- all legal environmental reporting requirements complied with
- the progression of the establishment of a Deakin wide environmental induction program
- environmental management procedures established and trialled incident reporting within Facilities Services
- deakin wide documentation control developed for environmental management procedures
- a Deakin-wide systems approach established to environmental management.
Key activities undertaken
- participation in Sustainability Victoria's pilot ResourceSmart Tertiary program
- continued development of centralised baseline and benchmark data
- membership with Sustainable Campuses Group (Victorian Tertiary Environmental Group) including participation in a tertiary sector environmental sustainability benchmarking exercise
- regular monitoring of compliance and performance against targets
- development of the Environmental Sustainability Strategy.
2011 Key actions
- implement the EcoITSM project in accordance with environmental management systems principles
- apply Environmental Management Systems approach to the integration of environmental sustainability continuous improvement methodologies.