1957-1973 Toorak Teachers College (TTC)
In 1957 the State Department of Education moved the Toorak Teachers' College to Stonington from its original location in the former Ruwolt residence in Glenbervie Avenue off Toorak Road, where the college had been founded in 1951. While some Health Department officials remained at Stonington, the Education Department acquired the site subject to the costs of transfer and accommodation for those Health officials.
The two year primary students moved into Stonington in February of 1957, the Infant Teachers' Certificate (a one year course of study) remained at Glenbervie until September when the medical services who still occupied parts of Stonington House as with some of the various cottages and outbuildings which were formerly the homes of the vice-regal domestic staff, were moved to Park Street.
In December 1958 the College's influential founding principal, Mr Frank Lord, announced his retirement. He officially ceased duty in January of the following year on the day that the last of the annexes used by the medical services was vacated. He thus handed his successor Mr L. Pryor a unified college free to use the buildings and grounds of Stonington. Mr Pryor was employed as principal until September 1961. On his departure Mr Michael Morris took up the reigns temporarily as Acting Principal, in anticipation of the arrival of Mr J.J. St Ellen.
1962, J.J. St Ellen now had responsibility for a staff of 58 and a student body of some 500 students. While matters of education were the central focus of St Ellen's tenure, he could not fail to notice that the upkeep of the Stonington would also require his attention.
The building had now been used for many years by generations of medical staff, students and teaching staff. Having reviewed requirements, and conscious of the new era dawning in education, St Ellen decreed that, henceforth, Stonington would be used for administration purposes with new buildings to be provided for the purpose of teaching. It was a bold plan that would take some years to see fruition. It would be another six years before the East Wing would be constructed.