Japan Study Tour - Animation, Games and Graphics
2013 Study Tour to Japan
Academic staff contact - Rose Woodcock
Forms and applications -Submiit application forms to the Study Abroad and Exchange office, or email to
Forms will be available from Study Abroad and Exchange website: Faculty Study Tours
About the 2012 Study Tour
14 days in Tokyo and the Kansai region (Kyoto & Osaka) - November
- Ghibli Museum, Tokyo
- Intensive hands-on anime workshop in Kyoto
- Tezuka museum, Osaka
- International Manga Museum, Kyoto
- Visit Marza Animation Planet studio, Tokyo
- Explore Japan's contradictions: from Harajuku's pop culture to Kyoto's temples and old market streets.
The 2012 tour will highlight the convergence of animation, graphics and games design & development in contemporary culture. Students with an awareness of Japan’s contribution to the global phenomena of anime and video gaming will find the study tour of great interest and relevance.
The Japan study tour includes intensive workshops at prestigious Kyoto-based universities (e.g., Kyoto University of Art & Design and Kyoto Seika University). Deakin and Kyoto students will work together on tasks such as character design, story development and animation production workflow, with instruction from Japanese animators and Kyoto university lecturers (with translator).
Places are limited, and if necessary preference will be given to students majoring in Animation (A358), Games Design & Development (S333), Visual Communication Design (A355) or other allied creative arts majors.
The purpose of the tour is to give students in their 2nd or 3rd year the opportunity to:
- Meet and work with faculty and students from host institutions in Japan.
- Visit places of interest specific to Japanese contemporary culture and to animation in particular.
- Experience Japan’s unique mix of traditional and cutting edge approaches to visual culture and entertainment technologies.
- Develop a professional interest in international travel as a learning experience.
All students must enroll in either of the following units in Trimester 3 2012 to participate in the tour
- ACM337 Creative Arts International Project or Study Tour X-OS
- ACM737 Creative Arts International Project or Study Tour X-OS
Both are credit-bearing (1credit point) units and involve assessment.
For more information contact Rose Woodcock.