Bachelor of Early Childhood Education practicum
Information for supervising teachers in child care and kindergarten settings
Please note the following important requirements:
- After an initial period of workplace familiarisation and observation, students are expected to begin participating actively in all aspects of the daily program under the supervision of the Supervisor.
- It is important that students begin to take on responsibility for planning, preparing, implementing and evaluating learning experiences as soon as possible and that this responsibility increases over the duration of the placement to the point where the student has full responsibility for the effective running of the program in the control week. This includes taking observations of focus children as well as all children in the group and acting on this information to implement a relevant and stimulating program by continuous initiation of ideas and activities.
- Students need to experience a cycle approach to planning for individual children's learning whilst maintaining records on the children. Responsibility for observing & documenting, planning, implementing, evaluating and then extending or modifying a program for focus children should be started in the first week. Guidance by the Supervisor is vital here so the student can experience this type of ongoing planning. Over the placement the focus children will need to be rotated so the student can experience a cycle approach to planning for individual children's needs whilst maintaining an enriching program for all of the children.
- Students are expected to participate in all aspects of life in the educational workplace, such as meetings, planning sessions, professional development sessions and in-services etc providing the Manager or Director grants permission for their involvement.
- It is important that students are made aware of, and participate in, the administration of a kindergarten and all that this entails. Supervisors are encouraged to assign administration and leadership tasks to students where and when they deem appropriate.
- Students are aware that they are required to maintain a portfolio that provides substantive evidence of their progressive development as a student teacher. This portfolio should include weekly reflections on their professional development, records of progress towards achievement of the competencies, resources collected, child observations, planning and work related to the subjects the student is studying at Deakin University.
- While on placement, student teachers will also be working on tasks/projects related to the coursework units of the BECE. Students are aware that they must obtain permission from relevant authorities before interviewing or surveying staff, parents or children, or viewing particular provider documentation.
- Should any difficulties occur during the placement, please refer to the 'Resolving difficulties' section.
In monitoring a student's progress, we ask Supervisors to provide feedback and comments that enable the pre-service teachers to reflect on their own teaching practice and challenges them to consider different ways of looking at issues.