About the group
The mathematics education discipline group is worldly. We bring not only a global perspective of mathematics education to our teaching and research but we engage actively and regularly with teachers, schools and educational authorities locally and with teachers and researchers in Asia, North America, Australasia, Europe and Africa for the delivery of pre-service teacher education and in-service teacher professional learning and for research in mathematics education.
Members of the mathematics education discipline group have proven track records in teaching, research and supervision of Higher Degree student researchers. Individuals and teams of staff are at the forefront of research and practice in a range of fields including:
- Problem solving approaches to teaching mathematics
- Resilience building and optimism of mathematics learners and teachers
- Mathematical reasoning
- Mathematical task design to enhance student mathematical engagement, reasoning, modelling and problem solving (for example, non-routine problems, open-ended problems, games and number talks)
- Mathematics leadership and teacher professional learning including demonstration lessons, Lesson Study and Learning Study
- Social justice and gender equity in mathematics
- Digital technologies for mathematics teaching and learning
- Primary pre-service teacher education
The teaching and research expertise of the mathematics education and discipline group is evident in the numerous teaching, publication and research awards granted to individuals during their academic careers.
The members of the group are actively engaged in the mathematics teacher and research communities and organisations, contributing through their leadership as journal and conference proceeding editors, membership of Editorial Boards and conference review teams as well as through various positions on association executives and committees and their regular presentations at national and international conferences for mathematics teachers and mathematics educational researchers.
Contact Susie Groves