Global Experience Program (GEP)
The GEP teaching practicum program offers students a diverse range of experiences in educational settings beyond Victoria, Australia.
Welcome to the School of Education's Global Experience Program
The Global Experience Program (GEP) is a teaching practicum experience that offers pre-service teachers a diverse range of experiences in educational settings beyond Victoria, Australia.
Eligibility for GEP participation is restricted to students who have successfully completed a local practicum and are in at least the third year of a four year course or have successfully completed EPR701 in the MTeach. BECE students need to discuss participation with ECP226 unit chair.
The GEP can be undertaken either as
- a replacement for one of the teaching practicums that would normally be undertaken in their studies, or
- a component in the elective unit EEG402 - Teaching in a Global World.
Past participants in the program often claim the experience as the highlight of their pre-service teaching course. The personal and professional benefits of engaging in an international or remote community experience are demonstrable. It challenges pre-service teachers to think about, deal with, and appreciate cultural and educational knowledge and/or practices and perspectives different from their own. And the result is the development of a broader range of teaching and learning approaches and a more global perspective on education.
To be eligible, students must have successfully completed a local professional experience placement and currently enrolled in one of these courses:
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Science)/Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health and Physical Education
- Master of Teaching (Northern Territory only - 5 weeks)
We encourage you to consider participating in the Global Experience Program and urge you to go to the listed destinations for further information.