Deakin University's Faculty of Arts and Education has a strong commitment to providing students with experiential learning opportunities such as internships.
Internships are valuable for students it gives them the opportunity to:
- Identify talents and workplace likes/dislikes
- Gain work experience directly related to the intended future career
- Build professional networks
- Develop insight into career paths in the field
- Acquire and apply practical and professional workplace skills and knowledge
- Gain confidence and a mature perspective
- Acquire a first-hand appreciation for the reality of the workforce vs. the theoretical perspective
- Acquire a professional referee.
The host organisation is responsible for:
- ensuring the precise nature of the duties/tasks are understood, and they are suitable for a short-term student placement;
- ensuring that appropriate resources are made available;
- providing appropriate supervision;
- providing guidance and feedback to the student; and
- completing an evaluation as to the student's overall performance.