The Faculty of Arts and Education promotes pure and applied research in the humanities, education, the social sciences, and the performing and creative arts.
Deakin University's mission is to have a vibrant culture of research and scholarship with a critical mass of researchers associated with each major discipline; and to foster internationally competitive research groups in areas of strategic importance.
The Faculty hosts three Strategic Research Centres whose work is at the forefront of their respective fields. Staff members are internationally renowned for their research and are also key players in national and international associations and editorial boards. Staff also have regular success in gaining research grants and consultancies, and the Faculty has strong experience in doctoral research supervision.
The higher degree by research program is offered through on-campus and off-campus study, which may be either full-time or part-time. Scholarships are available, including full-time Australian Postgraduate Awards and Deakin University Postgraduate Research Scholarships for citizens and permanent residents of Australia and citizens of New Zealand and Deakin University Postgraduate Research Scholarships and International Postgraduate Research Scholarships for international applicants.
Research Institutes and Strategic Research Centres
Other Faculty Centres
- Centre for Citizenship, Development and Human Rights
- CrEFI - Partnerships and Engagement
- Cultural Heritage Centre for Asia and the Pacific
- Centre for Teaching and Learning Languages
- Australia Indonesia Research Institute for Humanity and Development
- Deakin Motion.Lab
Faculty Research Groups / Affiliated Research Groups
- Australian Surveillance Studies
- Early Childhood Education Policies
- Experience, Culture and Learning
- Journalism, Media and Democracy
- Processes of Signification
- Sustainable Communities
- Persona, Celebrity, Publics (PCP)
- Science Fiction Studies
- Community Learning in the Early Years
- Creative Research
- Mathematical Reasoning Research Group
- European Philosophy and History of Ideas
- Culture Social Change