- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
Dr. Costas Laoutides
|Area||School of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Phone||+61 3 925 17766|
|Location||D.3.09 (Phone: +61 3 92517766)|
|Role and profile||Costas’ research focuses on the relation between peace and justice in secessionist conflicts. In particular he is interested in the communicative and normative aspects of national self-determination movements and how these aspects influence attempts for conflict resolution. In his doctoral thesis he examined the interaction between emancipation and collective responsibility in secessionist movements. His theoretical argument was illustrated with two case studies: the Kurds and Transnistria in Moldova.|
AIR 717 International Conflict Analysis
AIR 726 Human Rights in the International System
AIR 234/334 Order and Justice in World Politics
International Relations Theory with emphasis on the role of secessionist movements as international actors.
Collective listening, the politics of recognition and conflict resolution.
Peace and justice in secessionist conflicts.
The collective responsibility of secessionist movements.
The structures of secessionist organisations
Case studies: The Kurds, Transnistria.
- Grant by the British International Studies Association (2005)
- Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant, Aberystwyth University (2005).
- Grant by the International Studies Association (2004).
- Visiting Graduate Fellowship by the Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford (2004).
- Edward Halett Carr Studentship for doctoral studies, Department of International Politics, Aberystwyth University (2002-2006).
- Grant by the Sir Richard Stapley Educational Trust for doctoral studies in International Politics (2002).
- Grant by the Open Society Institute for fieldtrip work in Belgrade (2001).
- Advanced Course Studentship Award by the Economic and Social Research Council for MA studies in International Conflict Analysis, University of Kent (2000).
PhD in International Politics (Aberystwyth University)
MA in International Conflict Analysis (University of Kent)
BA in Political Science and International Studies (Panteion University)
International Studies Association
British International Studies Association
American Political Studies Association
Political Studies Association
Carnegie Council of Ethics and International Affairs