Academic Progress and Misconduct
FAPDC information specific to the Faculty of Arts and Education.
Forms and information
For Staff - Visit the Faculty Staff wiki for additional information and forms specifically for staff use.
Final Unit to Complete
This information is for students enrolled in courses owned by the Faculty of Arts and Education
The criteria for eligibility is in the Assessment (Higher Education Courses) - Procedure
Pass Conceded (PC) or Supplementary Assessment
Pass Conceded (PC) and Supplementary Assessment processes – under the University's 'Final Unit to Complete' provision – are available only to students who are one credit point short of completing their degree and have a failed unit that meets the requirements for a Pass Conceded or Supplementary Assessment as described in the table below. If you are more than one credit point short of completing your degree, you are not eligible to apply.
The provision of a Pass Conceded grade or Supplementary Assessment in a failed unit is described in clauses 46-51 of the Assessment (Higher Education Courses) Procedure that became effective on 9 March 2015. While Pass Conceded grades have been available for a number of years, Supplementary Assessment, under 'Final Unit to Complete' is available to students from the end of Trimester 1, 2015.
Applications for either a Pass Conceded or Supplementary Assessment are considered by the Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee (FAPDC) of the Faculty you are enrolled in, not the Faculty that taught the particular unit.
Applications must be made within 5 working days of Result Release / finalisation of your result.
Pass Conceded grade requirements:
A Pass Conceded grade may be awarded for a one credit point unit where the following conditions are met:
- the student is one credit point short of completing their program of study (e.g. has completed 23 of 24 credit points)
- the student has a mark of between 45 and 49 for the unit for which the Pass Conceded grade is being considered
- the student has not been awarded a Pass Conceded grade for any other unit in the course or articulated suite of courses
- PC grades cannot be awarded if professional registration requirement preclude this. In such situations, students are offered Supplementary Assessment if they meet criteria 1 to 3 above.
- the student must have received a fail grade for no more than the number of units specified in the table below:
Number of units in which fail grade may have been received
A fail grade in no more than two other units
Three-year undergraduate degree
A fail grade in no more than three other units
Four- or five-year undergraduate degree
A fail grade in no more than four other units
A fail grade in no more than two other units in the relevant degree of the combined degree program
A fail in no more than one other unit
A fail in no more than two other units
OUTCOME, IF AWARDED, IS A PC GRADE.
Supplementary Assessment requirements:
- Final unit of degree (e.g. 23/24 CPs achieved)
- A unit result of between 40% and 49% (inclusive)
- The Unit was studied during the last 12 months (eg the trimester just completed and the two trimesters before that).
OUTCOME, IF AWARDED, IS SUPPLEMENTARY ASSESSMENT (SAA) / SUPPLEMENTARY EXAM (SAE) - Exact task to be determined in consultation between FAPDC Chair and Unit Chair - Capped at a maximum result of 50P for the unit.
Please note the following rules:
- The Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee will award a PC grade over Supplementary Assessment if the student is eligible for both.
- Neither PC grades nor Supplementary Assessment will be awarded for practicum or work placement fails or units worth 2 credit points.
- In relation to combined degree programs (e.g. Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Commerce), a student is eligible to be considered for a Pass Conceded grade in each of the component degrees.
- In some courses, a PC grade
cannot be awarded for core units in courses requiring professional
registration. These include but are not limited to the following courses:
- Bachelor of Arts (Public Relations)
- Bachelor of Communication (Public Relations)
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
- Master of Communication (Public Relations specialism)
- Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Early Childhood course (E420) may only apply for a Conceded Pass on a level 4 unit.
If you believe you have satisfied all of the above criteria, please complete THIS FORM (PDF, 316.7 KB)
and send to your Campus FAPDC secretary from your Deakin email account with the following subject line:
Final Unit to Complete enquiry: [student name] - [student ID] - [course code]
FAPDC Review of Result form
An application for Review of Result must be made within five working days of the official release and publication of results at the end of the study period. All marks for individual assessment tasks are provisional until the final unit results have been approved for release by the Faculty Committee.
|Trimester 2, 2015|
|University result release:||Friday 6 November 2015 at 6.00pm|
|FAPDC Review of Result period:||Monday 9 November - Friday 13 November 2015|
Please complete the REVIEW OF RESULT APPLICATION FORM (PDF, 217.5 KB)
For all Deakin students
- Assessments Information
This page has information about exams, results, assessment, and class timetables. Help with referencing, special consideration or academic progress can also be found here.
- Academic Progress Information
This page answers frequently asked questions about academic progress.
- University Regulation - Academic Misconduct
- University Regulation - General Misconduct