Professor Mehmet Ulubasoglu
Dr Shuddha Rafiq
Ms Farah Beaini
Deakin School of Business
Dr Munirul Nabin
Alfred Deakin Professor Ingrid Nielsen
Dr Mehdi Taghian
Research Fellow, Centre for Supply Chain & Logistics (CSCL), Faculty of Science, Engineering & Built Environment (SEBE)
Dr Don Gunasekera
Selected Engagement Activities
CEEND Industry Workshop
The Centre and Deakin Business School are delighted to host the CEEND Industry Workshop: An expanding nexus > energy, environment and natural disasters, at Deakin Downtown from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm on Thursday, 15 November 2018.
Our industry and academic experts will be on hand to answer your burning questions, explore exciting trends in energy, environment and natural disasters, and share their ideas on how we can tackle disruptive challenges within and between these markets.
- Commissioner of Environmental Sustainability Victoria - Dr Gillian Sparkes, Commissioner
- Australian Bureau of Statistics - Ms Lisa Wardlaw-Kelly, ABS Environment & Agriculture Statistics Branch Program Manager
- Department of Treasury and Finance - Ms Sheryl Bartlett, Senior Economist, Energy, Environment and Resources Branch
- Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC - Dr John Bates, Research Director
- Professor Mehmet Ulubasoglu - Optimising post-disaster recovery interventions in Australia
- Professor Doren Chadee - Exploring how SMEs can manage change towards environmental sustainability
- Associate Professor Lubna Alam - Exploring digital disruptions in energy markets and natural disaster emergency management
- Associate Professor Josh Newton - Exploring emerging trends and constraints in energy markets, including peer-to-peer energy sharing and community energy retailing.
In an interview with the Australian in August 2018, Centre Deputy director, Dr Shudda Rafiq has responded to the ACCC inquiry into retail electricity pricing, the National Energy Guarantee, as a good initiative but also an as example of “political myopia”. See his full comments in The Future Examined: Nuclear power should be part of energy mix.
Integrated Macroeconomic Statistics
The Deakin Business School is working with Australian Bureau of Statistics on Integrated Macroeconomic Statistics Course Redevelopment project, due to be completed by March 2019. As part of this project, CEEND members are working on redeveloping the module Module 06 Environmental Accounts.
Optimizing Post-Disaster Recovery Interventions in Australia
Ulubasoglu. M. Optimizing Post-Disaster Recovery Interventions in Australia. Funding Body: The Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre, Australian Federal Government. Funding Amount: $560,000. Project Period: 2017-2020.
The primary objective of this research project is to estimate the sector-disaggregated economic effects of the QLD Floods 2010-11, the Black Saturday Bushfires 2009, and Cyclone Oswald 2013 to support the decision-making process in the design of post-disaster recovery interventions.
Research End Users
The project engages several end-users from various layers in the Australian Federal and State Governments, and benefits from their feedback with the purpose of providing a research output that could be utilised in informed decision-making. The project end-users include representatives from Emergency Management Australia within the Attorney General's Department, Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning, Victoria, and Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources, South Australia.
Pre-Disaster Multi-Hazard Damage and Economic Loss Estimation Model
Ulubasoglu, M. and Rajabifard, A. Pre-Disaster Multi-Hazard Damage and Economic Loss Estimation Model. Funding Body: The Bushfire and Natural Hazards Cooperative Research Centre, Australian Federal Government. Funding Amount: $525,000. Project Period: 2014-2016.
The emergency response system in Australia has proven to be effective in saving lives but the mitigation and preparedness phases in disaster risk reduction appear to be less successful in minimising the adverse economic impacts of natural disasters. This project investigates, at the national level, the economic impact of natural disasters on sectoral growth of the Australian economy.
Research End Users
The project engages several end-users from various layers in the Australian Federal and State Governments, and benefits from their feedback with the purpose of providing a research output that could be utilised in informed decision-making. The project end-users include representatives from Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources, South Australia, Attorney General's Department, Geoscience Australia, NSW Rural Fire Service, SA Rural Fire Service, and Country Fire Authority.
Developing Climate Inclusive Potential Loss and Damage Assessment Methodology for Flood Hazards
Ulubasoglu, M. and Guven, C. Developing Climate Inclusive Potential Loss and Damage Assessment Methodology for Flood Hazards. Funding Body: Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre, Bangkok, Thailand. Funding Amount: $25,500, Project Period: 2015-2018.
Work with us
At CEEND, we place a high priority on our partnerships with industry, government and research institutes. We believe this is the best way academia can make a positive, long-term difference in the formulation of sustainable, evidence-based and community-minded energy and environment policies.
- Ee, MS, Chao, CC, Wang, LFS and Yu, ESH, 2018, Environmental corporate social responsibility, firm dynamics and wage inequality, International review of economics and finance, vol. 56, pp. 63-74, doi: 10.1016/j.iref.2018.03.018.
- Ee, MS, Chao, CC, Liu, X, and Yu, Eden S. H. 2018, Environmental policy, firm dynamics and wage inequality in developing countries, International review of economics and finance, pp. 1-16, doi: 10.1016/j.iref.2018.02.013.
- Gunasekera, D 2018, 'Bridging the energy and meteorology information gap', in A Troccoli (ed), Weather & Climate Services for the Energy Industry, Palgrave McMillan, UK, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-68418-5_1
- Newth, D and Gunasekera, D, 2018, ‘Projected Changes in Wet-Bulb Globe Temperature under Alternative Climate Scenarios’ Atmosphere, vol. 9, pp. 187; doi:10.3390/atmos9050187
- Rafiq, S, Salim, R, and Sgro, PM, 2018, Energy, unemployment and trade, Applied economics, vol. 50, no. 47, pp. 5122-5134, doi: 10.1080/00036846.2018.1472741.
- Wang, Z, Lee, A, and Polonsky, M, 2018, Egregiousness and boycott intensity: evidence from the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill, Management Science, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 149-163, doi: 10.1287/mnsc.2016.2577.
- Wiesner, R, Chadee, D,and Best, P, 2018, Managing change toward environmental sustainability: a conceptual model in small and medium enterprises, Organization and environment, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 152-177, doi: 10.1177/1086026616689292.
- Ali Ahmed, H, Wadud, I, 2017, 'Oil price volatility and sectoral returns uncertainties: evidence from a threshold based approach for the Australian equity market', Journal Of developing areas, vol. 51, pp. 329-342.
- Bhattacharya, M, Rafiq, S, Lean, H and Bhattacharya, S, 2017, The regulated coal sector and CO2 emissions in Indian growth process: empirical evidence over half a century and policy suggestions, Applied energy, vol. 204, pp. 667-678, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.07.061.
- D’Souza, C, and Taghian, M, 2017, Female consumers as agents of change for transforming the environmental sustainability landscape, International journal of consumer studies, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 353-360, doi: 10.1111/ijcs.12350.
- D’Souza, C, and Taghian, M, 2017, Small and medium size firm’s marketing competitive advantage and environmental initiatives in the Middle East, Journal of strategic marketing, pp. 1-15, doi: 10.1080/0965254X.2017.1318945.
- Hunt, TL, Scarborough, H, Giri, K, Douglas, JW, and Jones, P, 2017, Assessing the cost-effectiveness of a fish stocking program in a culture-based recreational fishery, Fisheries research, vol. 186, no. Part 2, pp. 468-477, doi: 10.1016/j.fishres.2016.09.003.
- Rafiq, S, Nielsen, I, & Smyth, R 2017, 'Effect of internal migration on the environment in China', Energy Economics, vol. 64, pp. 31–44.
- Rahman, MH, Anbarci, N, Bhattacharya, P, & Ulubasoglu, M 2017, 'Can extreme rainfall trigger democratic change? the role of flood-induced corruption', Public Choice, vol. 171, pp. 331–358.
- Rahman, MH, Anbarci, N, Bhattacharya, P, & Ulubasoglu, M 2017, 'The shocking origins of political transitions? evidence from earthquakes', Southern Economic Journal, vol. 83, pp. 796–823.
- Roxas, B, Ashill, N, and Chadee, D, 2017, Effects of entrepreneurial and environmental sustainability orientations on firm performance: a study of small businesses in the Philippines, Journal of small business management, vol. 55, no. S1, pp. 163-178, doi: 10.1111/jsbm.12259.
- Roxas, B, Chadee, D, de Jesus, RRMC, and Cosape, A, 2017, Human and social capital and environmental management in small firms: a developing country perspective, Asian Journal of business ethics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-20, doi: 10.1007/s13520-016-0066-2.
- Salzman, S, Scarborough, H, and Allinson, G, 2017, Exploring the economic viability of using constructed wetlands to manage waste-water in the dairy industry, Australasian journal of environmental management, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 276-288, doi: 10.1080/14486563.2017.1328711.
- Scarborough, H, Sahin, O, Porter, M and Stewart, R, 2015, Long-term water supply planning in an Australian coastal city : Dams or desalination?, Desalination, vol. 358, pp. 61-68, doi: 10.1016/j.desal.2014.12.013.
- Chaikumbung, M, Doucouliagos, H, and Scarborough, H, 2016, The economic value of wetlands in developing countries: a meta-regression analysis, Ecological economics, vol. 124, pp. 164-174, doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2016.01.022.
- Chao, CC, Ee, MS, Laffargue, JP, and Yu, ESH, 2016, Environmental migration and capital mobility, International review of economics and finance, vol. 42, pp. 430-441, doi: 10.1016/j.iref.2015.10.014.
- Hoang, TX, Pham, CS and Ulubaşoğlu, MA, 2016, The role of rice in poverty dynamics in rural Vietnam: 2002–2008, Journal of the Asia Pacific economy, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 132-150, doi: 10.1080/13547860.2015.1068600.
- Rafiq, S, Sgro, P, & Apergis, N 2016, 'Asymmetric oil shocks and external balances of major oil exporting and importing countries', Energy Economics, vol. 56, pp. 42–50.
- Rafiq, S, Salim, R, & Nielsen, I 2016, 'Urbanization, openness, emissions and energy intensity: a study of increasingly urbanized emerging economies', Energy Economics, vol. 56, pp. 20–28.
- Rafiq, S, Salim, R, & Smyth, R 2016, 'The moderating role of firm age in the relationship between R&D expenditure and financial performance: evidence from Chinese and US mining firms', Economic Modelling, vol. 56, pp. 122–132.
- Rafiq, S, & Bloch, H 2016, 'Explaining commodity prices through asymmetric oil shocks: evidence from nonlinear models', Resources Policy, vol. 50, pp. 34–48.
- Rafiq, S, Salim, RA & Apergis, N 2015, 'Agriculture, trade openness and co2 emissions: evidence from linear and nonlinear panel estimations', The Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, vol. 60, pp. 1–18.
- Roxas, H, and Chadee, D, 2016, Knowledge management view of environmental sustainability in manufacturing SMEs in the Philippines, Knowledge management research & practice, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 514-524, doi: 10.1057/kmrp.2015.30.
- Song-Turner, H, and Polonsky, M, 2016, Enviropreneurial marketing in greening corporate activities: Evidence from four Chinese green firms, European business review, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 506-531, doi: 10.1108/EBR-12-2014-0087.
- Ulubasoglu, M, Mallick, D, Wadud, M, Hone, P, and Haszler, H, 2016, Food demand elasticities for Australia, Australian journal of agricultural and resource economics, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 177-195, doi: 10.1111/1467-8489.12111.
- Wadud, IKM, and Ali Ahmed, HJ, 2016, Oil price volatility, investment and sectoral responses: the Thai experience, Journal of developing areas, vol. 50, no. 3, Summer, pp. 357-379, doi: 10.1353/jda.2016.0097.
- Bashar, O, 2015, The trickle-down effect of the mining boom in Australia: fact or myth?, Economic record, vol. 91, no. Supplement 1, pp. 94-108, doi: 10.1111/1475-4932.12187.
- Bhattacharya, M, Rafiq, S, & Bhattacharya, S 2015. 'The role of technology on the dynamics of coal consumption-economic growth: new evidence from China', Applied Energy, vol. 154, pp. 686–695.
- Bloch, H, Rafiq, S, & Salim, RA 2015, 'Economic growth with coal, oil and renewable energy consumption in China: prospects for fuel substitution', Economic Modelling, vol. 44, pp. 104–115.
- Castaneda, MG., Martinez, CP, Marte, R, and Roxas, B, 2015, Explaining the environmentally sustainable consumer behavior: a social capital perspective, Social responsibility journal, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 658-676, doi: 10.1108/SRJ-02-2014-0019.
- Castaneda, MG, Martinez, CP, Marte, R, and Roxas, B, 2015, Explaining the environmentally sustainable consumer behavior: a social capital perspective, Social responsibility journal, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 658-676, doi: 10.1108/SRJ-02-2014-0019.
- D’Souza, C, Taghian, M, Sullivan-Mort, G, and Gilmore, A, 2015, An evaluation of the role of green marketing and a firm's internal practices for environmental sustainability, Journal of strategic marketing, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 600-615, doi: 10.1080/0965254X.2014.1001866.
- Grimmer, M, Miles, MP, Polonsky, MJ and Vocino, A 2015, The effectiveness of life-cycle pricing for consumer durables, Journal of business research, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 1602-1606, doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.02.003.
- Gunasekera, D, Cai, Y, and Newth, D, 2015, Effects of foreign direct investment in African agriculture, China agricultural economic review, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 167-184, doi: 10.1108/CAER-08-2014-0080.
- Lewis, K, Cassells, S, and Roxas, H, 2015, SMEs and the potential for a collaborative path to environmental responsibility, Business strategy and the environment, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 750-764, doi: 10.1002/bse.1843
- Martinez, CP, Castaneda, MG, Marte, RB and Roxas, H, 2015, Effects of institutions on ecological attitudes and behaviour of consumers in a developing Asian country: the case of the Philippines, International Journal of Consumer Studies, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 575-585, doi: 10.1111/ijcs.12188.
- Newton, JD, Tsarenko, Y, Ferraro, C, & Sands, S 2015, 'Environmental concern and environmental purchase intentions: the mediating role of learning strategy', Journal of Business Research, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 1974–1981.
- Newton, JD, Newton, FJ, Salzberger, T, & Ewing, MT 2015, 'A cross-nationally validated model of environmental coaction', International Marketing Review, vol. 32 no. 3–4, pp. 350–365.
- Porter, MG, Downie, D, Scarborough, H, Sahin, O, and Stewart, R, 2015, Drought and desalination: Melbourne water supply and development choices in the twenty-first century, Desalination and water treatment, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 2278-2295, doi: 10.1080/19443994.2014.959743.
- Rafiq, S,, Salim, R, and Apergis, N, 2015, Agriculture, trade openness and emissions: an empirical analysis and policy options, Australian journal of agricultural and resource economics, vol. 59, pp. 1-18, doi: 10.1111/1467-8489.12131
- Rai, RK, and Scarborough, H, 2015, Understanding the effects of the invasive plants on rural forest-dependent communities, Small-scale forestry, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 59-72, doi: 10.1007/s11842-014-9273-7.
- Taghian, M, D'Souza, C and Polonsky, MJ, 2015, A stakeholder approach to corporate social responsibility, reputation and business performance, Social Responsibility Journal, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 340-363, doi: 10.1108/SRJ-06-2012-0068.
- Wymer, W, and Polonsky, MJ, 2015, The limitations and potentialities of green marketing, Journal of nonprofit and public sector marketing, vol. 27, no. 3, Special issue : Green Marketing, pp. 239-262, doi: 10.1080/10495142.2015.1053341.
- Yiyong, C, Newth, D, Finnigan, J, & Gunasekera, D 2015, ‘A hybrid energy-economy model for global integrated assessment of climate change, carbon mitigation and energy transformation’, Applied Energy, vol. 148, pp. 381–395.
- Gunasekera, D 2014, 'Renewables: the sky is the limit', Nature, vol. 514, p. 168.
- Hanslow, K, Gunasekera, D, Cullen, B, & Newth, D 2014, 'Economic impacts of climate change on the Australian dairy sector', Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 60–77, doi: 10.1111/1467-8489.12021
- Ibrahim, M, and Ali Ahmed, HJ, 2014, Permanent and transitory oil volatility and aggregate investment in Malaysia, Energy policy, vol. 67, pp. 552-563, doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2013.11.072.
- Polonsky, MJ, Vocino, A, Grimmer, M, and Miles, MP, 2014, The interrelationship between temporal and environmental orientation and pro-environmental consumer behaviour, International journal of consumer studies, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 612-619, doi: 10.1111/ijcs.12131.
- Rafiq, S, Bloch, H, & Salim, RA 2014, 'Determinants of renewable energy adoption in China and India: a comparative analysis', Applied Economics, vol. 46, no. 22, pp. 2700–2710.
- Rafiq, S, & Salim, RA 2014, 'Does oil price volatility matter for Asian emerging economies?' Economic Analysis and Policy, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 417–441.
- Bashar, O, Wadud, Mokhtarul I, and Ali Ahmed H, 2013, Oil price uncertainty, monetary policy and the macroeconomy: the Canadian perspective, Economic modelling, vol. 35, Article 31, pp. 249-259, doi: 10.1016/j.econmod.2013.07.007.
- D’Souza, C, Taghian, M, and Sullivan-Mort, G, 2013, Environmentally motivated actions influencing perceptions of environmental corporate reputation, Journal of strategic marketing, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 541-555, doi: 10.1080/0965254X.2013.790473.
- Rai, RK, and Scarborough, H, 2013, Economic value of mitigation of plant invaders in a subsistence economy : incorporating labour as a mode of payment, Environment and development economics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 225-244, doi: 10.1017/S1355770X1200037X.
- Ali Ahmed, H, Bashar, O, I Wadud, 2012, 'The transitory and permanent volatility of oil prices : what implications are there for the US industrial production?', Applied energy, vol. 92, pp. 447-455.
- Polonsky, MJ, Vocino, A, Grau, Stacy LGR, and Ferdous, AS, 2012, The impact of general and carbon-related environmental knowledge on attitudes and behaviour of US consumers, Journal of marketing management, vol. 28, no. 3-4, Special Issue : Revisiting contemporary issues in green/ethical marketing, pp. 238-263, doi: 10.1080/0267257X.2012.659279.
- Rai, RK, Scarborough, H, Subedi, N, and Lamichhane, B, 2012, Invasive plants – Do they devastate or diversify rural livelihoods? Rural farmers' perception of three invasive plants in Nepal, Journal for nature conservation, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 170-176, doi: 10.1016/j.jnc.2012.01.003.
- Rowlinson, B, Gunasekera, D, and Troccoli, A, 2012, Potential role of renewable energy in water desalination in Australia, Journal of renewable and sustainable energy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 013108-1-013108-15, doi: 10.1063/1.3682060.
- Roxas, B, and Chadee, D,2012, Environmental sustainability orientation and financial resources of small manufacturing firms in the Philippines, Social responsibility journal, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 208-226, doi: 10.1108/17471111211234842.
- Roxas, B, and Coetzer, A, 2012, Institutional environment, managerial attitudes and environmental sustainability orientation of small firms, Journal of business ethics, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 461-476, doi: 10.1007/s10551-012-1211-z.
- Salim, RA, and Rafiq, S, 2012, Why do some emerging economies proactively accelerate the adoption of renewable energy?, Energy economics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1051-1057, doi: 10.1016/j.eneco.2011.08.015.
- Scealy, R, Newth, D, Gunasekera, D, and Finnigan, J, 2012, Effects of variation in the grains sector response to climate change: an integrated assessment, Economic Papers: a journal of applied economics and policy, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 327-336, doi: 10.1111/j.1759-3441.2012.00185.x.
- Ali Ahmed, H, Wadud, I, 2011, Role of oil price shocks on macroeconomic activities : an SVAR approach to the Malaysian economy and monetary responses, Energy policy, vol. 39, pp. 8062-8069.
- Chadee, D, Wiesner, R, and Roxas, B, 2011, Environmental sustainability change management in SMEs : learning from sustainability champions, International journal of learning and change, vol. 5, no. 3/4, pp. 194-207, doi: 10.1504/IJLC.2011.045068.
- Ezzy, E, and Scarborough, H, 2011, Estimation of the recreational use value gained from recreational fishing of Southern Bluefin tuna at Portland, Australia, in AARES 2011 : Australian Agricultural & Resource Economics Society 55th Annual Conference Handbook, AARES, Melbourne, Vic., pp. 1-15.
- Gunasekera, D, Newth, D, and Finnigan, J, 2011, Reconciling the competing demands in the human‐earth system: ensuring food security, Economic Papers, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 296-306, doi: 10.1111/j.1759-3441.2011.00121.x.
- Morrish, S, Miles, M, and Polonsky, MJ, 2009, An exploratory empirical study of the integration of sustainability as a stimulus for entrepreneurship, in Proceedings of the Sustainability Conference : The sustainability debate : the way forward, Massey University, [Auckland, New Zealand].
- Polonsky, MJ, Miles, MP, and Grau, SL, 2011, Climate change regulation : implications for business executives, European business review, vol. 23, no. 4, Special Issue : Sustainable Business Models, pp. 368-383.
- Polonsky, MJ, Lefroy, K, Garma, R, and Chia, N, 2011, Strategic and tactical alliances : do environmental non-profits manage them differently?, Australasian marketing journal, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 43-51, doi: 10.1016/j.ausmj.2010.11.006.
- Polonsky, MJ, 2011, Transformative green marketing : impediments and opportunities, Journal of business research, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 1311-1319, doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.01.016.
- Polonsky, MJ, Garma, R, and Landreth GS, 2011, Western consumers' understanding of carbon offsets and its relationship to behavior, Asia pacific journal of marketing and logistics, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 583-603, doi: 10.1108/13555851111183048.
- Polonsky, MJ, 2011, Transformative green marketing : impediments and opportunities, Journal of business research, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 1311-1319, doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.01.016.
- Rafiq, S, and Salim, RA, 2011, The linkage between energy consumption and income in six emerging economies of Asia : an empirical analysis, International journal of emerging markets, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 50-73, doi: 10.1108/17468801111104377.
- Nabin, MH, and Sgro, PM, 2010, Clean technology, willingness to pay and market size, Asia-Pacific journal of accounting & economics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 193-210.
- Polonsky, MJ, Grau, SL, and Garma, R, 2010, The new greenwash? Potential marketing problems with carbon offsets, International journal of business studies, vol. 18, no. 1, Special Issue : Environmental Sustainability and Business, pp. 49-54.