Information for students
Before you apply
Higher degrees by research
While many organisations engage in research, universities have a unique responsibility to provide research training. Higher degrees by research programs encourage the development of independent research skills in candidates. These skills include the ability to formulate a significant research problem, the ability to relate the research to the broader framework of knowledge in the area, and the mastery of appropriate skills to tackle the problem. The results of the research are usually incorporated into a thesis which is submitted for examination.
Before you apply, you must:
- Identify a potential research area
- Identify a potential supervisor. See staff profile pages
- Contact the School Higher Degree by Research Coordinator, Dr Lemai Nguyen, who can advise you about research opportunities with the School.
You must provide with your application:
- A copy of your CV
- A document describing your previous research experience
- Academic transcripts
- Name(s) of staff with relevant research interests, and
- A document describing the topic you would like to study, the gaps in our knowledge that your research will fill and how you intend to research this topic