Law Clinic (MLL351)
What is Law Clinic?
Law Clinic (MLL351) is a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) unit worth 1 credit point where students complete a work placement in a legal environment. Law Clinic counts for 12 days towards the professional work experience requirement of the law degree course. The unit is only offered to Bachelor of Laws students.
Applicants are required to:
- Have successfully completed 16 units of their law/combined degree.
- Provide an introductory cover letter outlining their interest in their preferred Law Clinic placement location.
- Provide an up-to-date resume including all current and past professional experience placements and employment.
Please give careful consideration to your application, as there are limited places available. A detailed application, which outlines your suitability and enthusiasm, will greatly assist the selection process.
Where there are several strong applicants, order of application receipt will be used to finalise selection- so get your application in promptly.
Please note: The host organisation may require an interview prior to final offer being made.
How to apply
Please indicate in your application if you are also available to accept a place in a different trimester. Only apply for those places that you are willing to travel to.
Please note: Under no circumstances are you to approach employers directly regarding Law Clinic. You will be notified of the outcome of your application approximately 2 weeks after applications have been received. If you have not heard after this time please contact Marlene Ebejer.
Compulsory induction session and enrolment details
If you are offered a Law Clinic placement you will be required to attend a one day compulsory induction session prior to you commencing Law Clinic.
The induction session covers area such as: duty of confidentiality, interviewing diverse clients, working with interpreters, how to write file notes, how to draft letters etc. Additionally you will be given information about enrolment on completion of this compulsory session. The induction session is held at Deakin's Melbourne City Centre, Bourke Street, Melbourne, usually on the last Monday of the previous Trimester from 9am - 12noon.
Failure to attend will result in your Law Clinic offer being rescinded and you will no longer be eligible to enrol in the unit.
Law Clinic Induction dates
Trimester 1, 2014 - Monday 3, February 2014 - Completed
Trimester 2, 2014 - Monday 26, May 2014
Trimester 3, 2014 - Monday 1, September 2014
- AED Legal Centre Melb
- Barwon Community Legal Service Inc.Geelong
- Brimbank Melton Community Legal Centre St Albans and Melton
- Department of Human Services Geelong
- Fair Work Building and ConstructionMelb
- Inside Access Mental HealthMelb (working with prisoners)
- Moonee Valley Community Legal ServiceAscot Vale
- M2 Telecommunications(in-house counsel) Melb
- St Kilda Legal Service Melb
- Goulburn Community Legal Centre
- West Heidleberg Legal Centre (T3 only)
- Victoria Legal Aid: Ringwood
- Western Suburbs Legal Service Inc.Newport
- Women's Legal Service Victoria and Family Law Legal Service Melb (Pre-req MLL408 Family Law)
- Youth Law Melb
- TAC Geelong
Students who wish to undertake Law Clinic may need to obtain a Working with Children Check and Police Check prior to commencing (at students expense).
Please note: Not all centres participate in all trimesters.