Get a mentor: Registration information for new students
Aims of the program:
- support new students with academic and social transition in their first trimester at Deakin
- create networks and links to the University community
- assist new students in recognising what is expected of them as students at Deakin.
Benefits for new students:
- immediate link into Deakin community,
- learn from shared experiences, and gain easy access to a wealth of knowledge that your Mentor has already obtained,
- find out how to be a successful Deakin student,
- a senior student and also a friend to go and ask for advice,
- ways to increase your levels of confidence in this new and dynamic environment that we operate in,
- It FREE!
- give study tips based on their own experiences
- advise students broadly on how to go about answering coursework
- assist you to become 'independent' learners
- refer you to the resources and services available in the Deakin University community.
- directly answer assessment questions
- provide a copy of their own course notes or assignment
- write your assignment
- be a unit tutor.
Where possible we aim to match new students to mentors studying the same or similar course or discipline. Subject to numbers and applications, you may be mentored in a group of two to four students.
First meeting (compulsory):
You and your Mentor will meet and get to know each other. At this meeting you will also discuss expectations, roles, responsibilities and future meeting schedule.