Student Mentor Program in Melbourne
Get a mentor: Registration information for new students
Aims of the program:
- support new students with academic and social transition in their first trimester at Deakin
- create networks and links to the University community
- assist new students in recognising what is expected of them as students at Deakin.
Benefits for new students:
- immediate link into Deakin community,
- learn from shared experiences, and gain easy access to a wealth of knowledge that your Mentor has already obtained,
- find out how to be a successful Deakin student,
- a senior student and also a friend to go and ask for advice,
- ways to increase your levels of confidence in this new and dynamic environment that we operate in,
- It FREE!
- give study tips based on their own experiences
- advise students broadly on how to go about answering coursework
- assist you to become 'independent' learners
- refer you to the resources and services available in the Deakin University community.
- directly answer assessment questions
- provide a copy of their own course notes or assignment
- write your assignment
- be a unit tutor.
Where possible we aim to match new students to mentors studying the same or similar course or discipline. Subject to numbers and applications, you may be mentored in a group of two to four students.
First meeting (compulsory):
You and your Mentor will meet and get to know each other. At this meeting you will also discuss expectations, roles, responsibilities and future meeting schedule.
Essential criteria to register for this program:
We expect that you will
- have a desire to be a successful Deakin student
- respect the time and efforts of your mentor and group
- commit time to attend the first meeting , organised program events and organised team meetings
- provide timely feedback to your mentor and program coordinators and complete final online mentee evaluation form.
Trimester 2 registrations are closed.