Intellectual Significance - The Science Fiction Research Group
The science fiction research group asks and seeks answers to the following questions:
- What is science fiction today?
- What are its social, cultural and political functions?
- What pleasures and fears does it offer readers, viewers, and players?
- What differing forms does science fiction take and,
- What are the relationships within and between those forms?
In addition, the group will seek to explore the meaning of science fiction through creative application, and its relationship to new technologies and interfaces.
The science fiction research group will develop a knowledge network media 'relay', an online hub for its members to coordinate and organise collaborative research projects including podcasts and interactive forums. It will run and relay regular reading groups, workshops, symposia, exhibitions and installations, and research talks, as well as developing a book series proposal and journal special editions. It will secure external grant applications and sponsorship through the range of its research work.
"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever
to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of
science fiction -- its essence -- has become crucial to our salvation,
if we are to be saved at all."