Dr Pimm Vongsvivut
|Position:||Casual Research |
|Campus:||Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus|
Prior to being appointed to Deakin’s School of Life and Environmental Sciences as an Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellow (ADPRF), I have completed 2 postdoctoral fellowships at RIKEN (The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research, Japan) and Monash University (Clayton). My main expertise is vibrational spectroscopy including Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and Raman technique, and synchrotron-FTIR microspectroscopy.
With the highly growing demand in the consumption of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 PUFAs) particularly for DHA and EPA, my main research interest at Deakin has been focused on developments of FTIR microspectroscopic technique and chemometric approaches for rapid non-invasive, potentially on-line, monitoring of n-3 production in novel microencapsulated fish oil (uEFO) supplements and marine fungoid protist thraustochytrids–a potential alternative vegetarian resource for n-3 PUFAs other than fish oils.
High-resolution FTIR and Raman imaging analysis further provides unique information on the distribution of biological macromolecules (i.e. lipids, proteins, carbohydrates and nucleic acids) and other vital components such as chlorophyll and carotenoids. The technique requires only minimal sample preparation and the spectral image can be acquired directly from the micron-sized intact cells and encapsulated fish oil powder in non-invasive fashion.
The use of synchrotron-FTIR microspectroscopy particularly provides an exceptional advantage due to the superior characteristics of the highly intense synchrotron-IR radiation that allows in vivo examination of individual live cells directly from the growth medium without any sample preparation. Together with chemometric methodologies, information of chemical variation within cell populations can be assessed to provide a mean for quality control standardization, and potentially leads to quantification of PUFA compositions in the cells.
2010–present: Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Deakin University, Australia)
2006–2010: Monash Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Monash University, Australia)
2005–2006: RIKEN Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Wako, Japan)
2003–2004: PhD Research Associate (Kwansei-Gakuin University, Japan)
2001–2002: PhD Research Associate (Syracuse University, USA)
- School of Life and Environmental Sciences (LES)
- Centre for Chemistry and Biotechnology (CCB)
- ARC assessor and reviewer in the field of biospectroscopy
- Member of Society for Applied Spectroscopy (SAS)
- Local organising committee for WIRMS 2013 conference (http://www.wirms2013.com.au/index.html)
- Advanced Vibrational Microspectroscopy (FTIR, synchrotron FTIR and Raman)
- Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (SERS)
- Chemometrics (multivariate data analysis)
- Advanced Vibrational Microspectroscopy (FTIR/Raman) for Nanostructural and Biomolecular analysis
- Novel Australian Protists as Alternative Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid (PUFA) Resources to Fish Oils Analysed in vivo by Synchrotron FTIR Microspectroscopy
- Alfred Deakin Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (2011 – present)
- Australian Synchrotron Beamline Access Grant 2011-2
- ARC-LIEF 2012
- Deakin RESS 2012
- LES collaborative fund 2012
- LES new initiative fund 2013
- LES small research equipment fund 2013
- J. Vongsvivut, M. R. Miller, D. McNaughton, P. Heraud and C. J. Barrow (2014) Rapid classification and determination of polyunsaturated fatty acid composition in marine oils by FTIR spectroscopy and multivariate data analysis, Food and Bioprocess Technology, doi:10.1007/s11947-11013-11251-11940, Springer.
- Z. Weng, H. Wang, J. Vongsvivut, R. Li, A. M. Glushenkov, J. He, Y. Chen, C. J. Barrow and W. Yang (2013) Self-assembly of core-satellite gold nanoparticles for colorimetric detection of copper ions, Analytica Chimica Acta, 803, 128-134.
- J. Vongsvivut, P. Heraud, A. Gupta, M. Puri, D. McNaughton and C. J. Barrow (2013) FTIR microspectroscopy for characterization and classification of commercially valuable marine yeasts and protists rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, Analyst 138 (20), 6016-6031, doi: 10.1039/C3AN00485F.
- J. Vongsvivut, P. Heraud, W. Zhang, J. A. Kralovec, D. McNaughton and C. J. Barrow (2013) Rapid determination of protein contents in microencapsulated fish oil supplements by ATR-FTIR spectroscopy and partial least square regression (PLSR) analysis, Food and Bioprocess Technology, doi:10.1007/s11947-013-1122-8, Springer
- A. Gupta, J. Vongsvivut, C. J. Barrow and M. Puri (2012) Molecular identification of marine yeast and its spectroscopic analysis establishes unsaturated fatty acid accumulation Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering 114(4), 411-417 Elsevier
- J. Vongsvivut, P. Heraud, W. Zhang, J. A. Kralovec, D. McNaughton and C. J. Barrow (2012) Quantitative determination of fatty acid compositions in microencapsulated fish-oil supplements using Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy Food Chemistry 135, 603-609 Elsevier
- R. Sekine, J. Vongsvivut, E. G. Robertson, L. Spiccia and D. McNaughton (2011) SERS analysis of 5-hydroxyisoflavones: genistein and methoxy derivatives Journal of Physical Chemistry B 115, 13943-13954 ACS Publications
- M. Asghari Khiavi, J. Vongsvivut, I. Perepichka, A. Mechler, B. R. Wood, D. McNaughton and D. Scott Bohle (2011) Interaction of quinoline antimalarial drugs with ferriprotoporphyrin IX: a solid state spectroscopy study Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 105, 1662-1669 Elsevier