Dr Lucy Busija
|Position:||Senior Research Fellow-Biostatistics|
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Health|
|Department:||PVC's Office - Health|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 92446745 +61 3 92446745|
I joined the Deakin University Biostatistics Unit in February 2013 as a senior biostatistician. My main area of expertise is in latent variable modelling, including structural equation modelling, item response theory, and latent class analysis, with particular emphasis on application of these methods to the study of risks, outcomes, and burden of chronic illness. I also have special interest and experience in the design and analysis of randomised controlled trials and am currently a member of the Data and Safety Monitoring Committee of a large international study.
Before joining the Deakin Biostatistics Unit, I held a postdoctoral fellowship in applied biostatistics at the Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of Melbourne. Prior to that, I was employed as a principal biostatistician at the Centre for Eye Research Australia, where I was responsible for the design and analysis of a number of observational and interventional studies aimed at improving outcomes for individuals with age-related vision loss. I also have over 10 years of experience as a statistical educator, having developed and taught a range of subjects in the Master of Applied Science in Statistics degree at Swinburne University, including introductory statistics, epidemiological methods, scale development and evaluation, and multivariate statistics.
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology), Swinburne University of Technology,
- Master of Science (Statistics), Swinburne University of Technology,
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Statistical Society of Australia (since 2002)
- 2007-2008 Secretary, Statistical Society of Australia Victorian Branch
- Australasian Epidemiological Association (since 2005)
Expert and Advisory Panels
- Biostatistical editor, International Psychogeriatrics journal.
- Scientific advisor, ad.visory committee for the development of the Rapid Assessment of Disability toolkit, the Nossal Institute for Global Health.
Independent statistician, Data and Safety Monitoring Committee for a randomised controlled trial of laser surgery in age related macular degeneration, Centre for Eye Research Australia.
Biostatistics; psychometrics; epidemiological methods; age-related disease; non-communicable disease