Dr Cristina Garduno Freeman
|Position:||Lecturer in Architecture |
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Science Engineering & Built Environment|
|Department:||School of Architecture and Built Environment|
|Campus:||Geelong Waterfront Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 52278652 +61 3 52278652|
Dr Cristina Garduño Freeman is an academic in the fields of digital media, architecture and heritage. She has a forthcoming book titled Participatory Culture and the Social Value of an Architectural Icon: Sydney Opera House with Ashgate, UK and in 2014 received the International Visual Sociology Association Rieger Award for an Outstanding Doctoral Thesis. Her research work has been published in some of the world’s leading international journals including: the International Journal of Heritage Studies (2010) and Architectural Theory Review (2013). In 2013 Dr Garduño Freeman was Assistant Guest Editor for Volume 18:3 of Architectural Theory Review (2013) with Dr Naomi Stead, and is currently co-editing a special issue of Historic Environment with Dr Ursula de Jong. She is a graduate of the prestigious ‘Oxford Internet Institute Summer Doctoral Program’, which has led to a collaborative publication in Nexus: New Intersections in Internet Research. In addition to this she has published in refereed conference proceedings and professional journals. Dr Garduño Freeman is also a multidisciplinary designer and has practiced professionally in architecture, landscape architecture and urban design, and in visual communication design. Her creative research outcomes include installations and films completed as part of Cottage Industries, a collaboration with Antonia Fredman and Vicki Leibowitz. Cottage Industries’ creative and theoretical projects explore intersections between architecture, design, heritage and art, through critical spatial practice and forms of participatory culture. Projects include The Lost Street, a site-specific work for Expanded Architecture in The Rocks, part of the Sydney Architecture Festival 2013, Towards a New Sandwich, a video guide to remaking a Modernist icon, screened as part of Sydney Architecture Festival 2014 [http://vimeo.com/91115180] and Haus der Frau, a site specific work for Expanded Architecture Temporal Formal at Seidler City 2014, also part of the Museum of Sydney’s exhibition titled Harry Seidler Painting toward Architecture.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Technology Sydney, 2013
- Bachelor of Architecture, University of Technology Sydney, 2004
History & Theory of Architecture
Representation & Communication of Architecture
Architectural Design Studio
Subjects and units currently teaching
S342 Bachelor of Design (Architecture)
SRA323 Contemporary Architecture
SRD164 Studio 02: Matterscapes
SRC221 Computer Aided Modelling
SRC163 Graphic and Coded Communication
S700 Master of Architecture
2013 Panellist for Super Sydney 2013 - The Colloquium – Culture and the City, Utzon Room, Sydney Opera House, Saturday 9th November, 2013.
2013 Radio Interview for Expanded Architecture at the Rocks - FBI 94.5 Canvas with Amy Gibbs, 11am-12pm, Sunday 27th of October, 2013. http://fbiradio.com/program/canvas/
2013 Radio Interview on the 40th Birthday of the Sydney Opera House - ABC 702 AM with Caitlyn Gribbin , 8-8:30am, Sunday 19th of October, 2013. http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3872642.htm
2009 Radio Interview on the Utzon State Memorial - ABC 702 Breakfast with Wendy Harmer, 5:30-7:45am Wednesday 25th of March, 2009. http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2009/03/sydney-opera-ho.html
2009 Radio Interview on the Utzon State Memorial - ABC 702 Afternoons with James Valentine, 1-3pm Wednesday 25th of March, 2009. http://fbiradio.com/program/canvas/
Awards and prizes
2014 International Visual Sociology Association Reiger Award for an Outstanding Doctoral Thesis (cash prize, certificate and travel stipend)
2007 Australian Postgraduate Award
2007 UTS Dab Top-Up Scholarship
2004 UTS Candidate, NSW AIA Architects Medallion
2003 UTS 6th Year Board of Architects Prize
2001 A.W. Anderson Memorial Prize
1995 Richard Dovey Medal, UNSW Art & Design
1994 Scentsations National Design Awards - Best Overall Entry
1990 Co-Op Scholarship - Electrical Engineering, UNSW
Dr Garduño Freeman’s research interests centre on the transformations that digital media effect on concepts of social value and place. Currently, these are being investigated through two projects in their initial stages. ‘CmyView’ is a pilot research project being carried out with Dr Kok-Leon Ong, members of the Sociocultural Ecologies Research Group and the Super Sydney a committee of the NSW Chapter of the Australian Institute of Architects. CmyView is a project that explores how mobile digital technologies can offer new embodied methodologies for participating with and assessing social value. In collaboration with Professor Sarah Kenderdine, Dr Garduño Freeman is developing a project around ‘Converging, spatialising and augmenting archives’, which investigates the potentials and consequences of merging popular and historic representation for embodied audience engagements.
Research Funding (past 5 years)
2014 Expanded Architecture Temporal Formal at Seidler City: Dr Cristina Garduño Freeman, Antonia Fredman & Vicki Leibowtiz. Artists Grant $1000.
2014 Crowdfunding: Research My World, CmyView: Dr Cristina Garduño Freeman & Dr Kok-Leong Ong (Primary Investigators) with members of the Sociocultural Ecologies Group: Dr Ursula de Jong, Dr Mirjana Lovanovska, Dr David Beynon, Dr Diego Fullaondo and Super Sydney, a committee of the NSW Chapter of the Australian Institute of Architects. (Launch 5th May, 2014) www.pozible.com/CmyView 122% of target - $7,230.
2013 Expanded Architecture At The Rocks: Dr Cristina Garduño Freeman, Antonia Fredman & Vicki Leibowtiz. Artists Residency $500
2007-2011 Australian Postgraduate Award: Dr Cristina Garduño Freeman, $70,000
2007-2011 UTS Faculty Top-Up Scholarship: Dr Cristina Garduño Freeman, $35,000
1. Garduño Freeman, C. (forthcoming, 2016). Participatory Culture and The Social Value of an Architectural Icon: Sydney Opera House. Ashgate, UK.
2. Cook, E., & Garduño Freeman, C. (2011). Snap, Post, Share: Understanding the Online Social Life of Personal Photography. In D. Araya, Y. Breindl, & T. J. Houghton, (Eds.), Nexus: New Intersections in Internet Research (p. 35-54), Peter Lang, NY.
3. Garduño Freeman, C. (2013). Making a Giant Sydney Opera House Cake: Participatory Culture as a Site for the Reception of Architecture. Special Issue: Reception, Architecture Theory Review, 18(3), 325-339.
4. Garduño Freeman, C. (2010). Photosharing on Flickr: Intangible Heritage and Emergent Publics. Special Issue: Heritage and Practices of Public Formation, International Journal of Heritage Studies, 16(4), 352-368.
5. Williams, T & Garduño Freeman, C. (2014). Super Sydney Walking with CmyView 2014, Walk 21 Sydney 2014: XV International Conference on Walking and Liveable Communities, Sydney. 21-23 Oct.
6. Garduño Freeman, C. (2014). The Intangible Heritage of an Architectural Icon, Grasping the Intangible at Heritage Places, Australia ICOMOS National Scientific Committee on Intangible Cultural Heritage, Melbourne. 18 Oct.
7. Garduño Freeman, C. (2014). Interconnecting Tangible, Intangible and Digital Culture: Mediated Memories and the Sydney Opera House. In Second Biannual Conference, Association of Critical Heritage Studies, Canberra. 2-4 Dec.
8. Garduño Freeman, C., & Liebowitz, V. (2014). A Brick is not a Brick? Conversations on Critical Heritage and the Question of Architecture. In Second Biannual Conference, Association of Critical Heritage Studies, Canberra. 2-4 Dec.
9. Garduño Freeman, C. (2014). Visual Conversations: Forms of Participation In, and Engagement With, Architecture. In Visual Dialogues in Postindustrial Societies: Transforming the Gaze, the IVSA 2014 Annual Conference, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA, 26-28 Jun.
10. Garduño Freeman, C., Leibowitz, V., & Fredman, A. (2013). The Lost Street, Rematerialising Heritage. In The Rocks Symposium, Expanded Architecture. Sydney Architecture Festival, Sydney. 9 Nov.
Edited Journal Issues
11. de Jong, U. & Garduño Freeman, C (forthcoming). Special Issue: Watermarks, Historic Environment.
12. Stead. N., & Garduño Freeman, C. (2013). Special Issue: Reception, Architecture Theory Review, 18:3.
13. Garduño Freeman, C. (2014). CmyView: using digital tools to connect people and place. Architecture Bulletin, Spring 2014.
14. Garduño Freeman, C., Fredman, A., & Leibowitz, V. (2014). Haus der Frau. [Exhibition]. Expanded Architecture Temporal Formal at Seidler City, Sydney Architecture Festival, Australia Square, 7 Nov, & Harry Seidler Painting toward Architecture, Museum of Sydney, 1-6 Nov.
15. Garduño Freeman, C., Fredman, A., & Leibowitz, V. (2014). Towards a New Sandwich [Short Film]. Screened at Cinecity Architectural Film Project, Sydney Architecture Festival 2014.
16. Garduño Freeman, C., Fredman, A., & Leibowitz, V. (2013). The Lost Street [Exhibition]. Expanded Architecture at The Rocks Residency Program, Sydney Architecture Festival, The Rocks, Sydney, 8th Nov.