Melbourne Burwood Campus
Internet of things (IoT) devices are being deployed in increasingly large numbers, supporting applications such as smart transport, smart energy, logistics management and smart cities. They are also being heavy used in critical applications such as health monitoring and emergency management. With increasingly complex and dynamic application requirements, and therefore deployments, IoT devices and networks are increasingly having to make decisions about different priorities. Such priorities include, the need to conserve battery, demand to transfer data wirelessly, performing computation, maintaining a mesh network, and performing sensor and actuator actions.
This project will investigate the use of distributed goal reasoning to optimize the decisions made by individual IoT nodes and the network as a whole. The focus of the project will be the development and use of optimization algorithms, utility functions, heuristics and other techniques to support the goals of IoT applications.
Applications close 5pm, Thursday 31 January 2019.
This scholarship is available over 3 years.
- Stipend of $27,082 per annum tax exempt (2018 rate)
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic candidate (domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship).
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- The applicant should have programming experience and ideally some experience with hardware.
How to apply
Learn more about submitting a successful application on the How to apply page. Please email Dr Kevin Lee before applying.
For more information about this scholarship, please contact Dr Kevin Lee
Dr Kevin Lee
Senior Lecturer in Software Engineering and Internet of Things (IOT)
Email Kevin Lee
+61 3 924 45080