The PhD by Prior Publications in the Creative Arts one-year scholarship is designed for practitioners in any of the creative arts, including creative writing. This innovative PhD model offers a unique opportunity for professional artists with a distinguished national or international level reputation to work alongside pre-eminent supervisors in state of the art facilities.
The successful applicant will have access to Deakin University's innovative PhD Xtra Program to support them in writing a substantial exegesis which addresses a research problem through critical engagement with a representative selection of the candidate's own creative outputs. PhD Xtra includes tailored coursework, research funding support, and access to a wide range of additional program content and opportunities.
The successful applicant will commence study in 2019 and must be based at one of Deakin's Victorian Campuses.
The aim of the project will be determined through consultation between the candidate and the supervision panel based on analysis of the candidate's research interests, expertise and prior creative-arts achievements.
Applications close 5pm, Friday 15 March 2019.
This scholarship is available for 1 year.
- Stipend of $27,596 per annum tax exempt (2019 rate)
To be eligible you must:
- be a domestic candidate (domestic includes candidates with Australian Citizenship, Australian Permanent Residency or New Zealand Citizenship).
- meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements
- be enrolling full time and hold an honours degree (first class) or an equivalent standard master's degree with a substantial research component.
Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for further information.
Additional desirable criteria include:
- Applicants must provide evidence of scholarly achievement equivalent to First Class honours and a demonstrated capacity for scholarly writing and research.
How to apply
Applicants should email their CV (no more than 5 pages), one-page research proposal and the names of two referees to Dr Patrick West. Intending applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Patrick West for additional information before submitting their application.
Enquiries about entry into the PhD by Prior Publications in the Creative Arts without scholarship, or other postgraduate research degrees in the School, are also most welcome.
Learn more about submitting a successful application on the How to apply page.