Applications for Trimester 1 2019 open 16 October 2018.
Applications for Trimester 1 2019 close 8 January 2019 5pm.
Up to four years, subject to satisfactory academic performance.
Payment of up to $8,000 per year if enrolled in a three year course or up to $6000 per year if enrolled in a four year course.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or the holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- be a commencing student enrolled in an undergraduate bachelor degree in Trimester 1 2019 at Deakin University Waurn Ponds, Waterfront or Warrnambool campuses
- be enrolled full time in a Commonwealth Supported Place
- be a year 12 school leaver (including students who have been on exchange or gap year programs for up to twelve months after completion)
- be able to demonstrate participation in and commitment to supporting the community and volunteer activities
- be able to demonstrate leadership and leadership potential in your academic, professional and personal life
- have a strong academic standing with a minimum ATAR of 75
As a scholarship recipient you:
- will be required to promote the image of Deakin and the George Alexander Foundation both within and outside the University and participate in the network of George Alexander Foundation Scholars
- must maintain a satisfactory academic record for the duration of your scholarship, with a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60*
- must agree to the University sharing your WAM with the donor for administrative record purposes
- must complete a yearly report detailing how this scholarship has helped you with your studies.
*Failure to maintain the minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60 may result in the scholarship being revoked.
When you apply for this scholarship, you'll need to supply evidence of:
- any participation in community and volunteering activities
- any leadership or leadership potential in your academic, professional and personal life.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete an additional application and will also need to supply the following:
- Personal statement of 750 - 1000 words
- Three year plan outlining how you will develop your skills and work over the duration of the scholarship
- Two referees - one academic reference and one character reference.
Applying for a scholarship isn’t just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship - it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
How to apply
You can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
What happens next
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within six weeks of the closing date and will be asked to complete an additional application.