Deakin’s unique combined secondary education courses allow you to specialise in arts or science while gaining your secondary teaching qualification. You can specialise in various areas and learn to teach subjects from junior secondary to VCE level. Extensive quality school placements in a variety of education settings help you discover your interests as a future teacher.
Potential students might like to think about good teachers that they remember and why they have these enduring memories.
Senior Lecturer In Language And Literacy Education
Get a head start on your career
Our professional experience program is a critical part of every Deakin teaching student’s course experience. Working with over 1,400 schools across Australia, we’ll arrange at least 80 days of work experience for you in schools where you’ll learn from experienced teachers.
Secondary teaching courses
Study with Deakin and we'll help you transform your passion into a successful and rewarding career
Research with us
If you’ve got a big idea to bring to secondary school teaching or practice, do a higher degree by research with us. We’ve got just the right partnerships to bring your paper to life.
Recent Deakin research
Re-engaging 'at-risk' youth in secondary education
Michael Robin Mautner examines, through psychosocial study, how 'at-risk' youth may re-engage in secondary education.
We’ve got links with a number of industry partners, including:
- Regional Centre for Education in Science and Mathematics (RECSAM)
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD)
- National Taiwan Normal University
- International Centre for Classroom Research, University of Melbourne
- various schools
- universities in Germany, Sweden and Mexico.
As a graduate you’ll be eligible for employment as a secondary school teacher in Australia and overseas, qualified to teach from junior-secondary to VCE level. Plus, you’ll be qualified to teach at least one of the following to secondary school students:
- humanities (history, SOSE, psychology)
- languages (English, TESOL, LOTE)
- visual and performing arts (drama, dance, media, music and visual arts).
You’ll also be able to gain employment with:
- community and youth performance companies
- community arts offices
- government departments
- private academies and agencies
- private industries and services
- TAFE and adult education institutions.
What do our students and staff say?
Secondary teaching at Deakin
Student Shona Scorringe talks about studying secondary teaching at Deakin and the value of work placements.
Browse other disciplines within education and teaching
Choose an area that you're interested in and learn how Deakin's extensive range of study options and experiences can help turn your dreams into reality.