Kids in Philanthropy Scholarship
Every year, students miss out on the opportunity to attend university due to financial hardship or other challenges. If this is your experience consider applying for the Kids in Philanthropy Scholarship, which aims to provide support for students facing financial hardship.
Value and duration
Payment of up to $20,000* per year
* inclusive of a residential place at the Burwood campus
14 February 2017
23 February 2017 at 5pm
All Deakin University scholarships have eligibility criteria.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- have completed your VCE (or interstate equivalent) or International Baccalaureate in the previous two years
- be enrolled full time in any undergraduate degree, unless there are exceptional circumstances preventing full-time study
- be enrolled at the Burwood campus
- be able to show an outstanding commitment to supporting your community
- demonstrate you have previously or are currently residing in an out-of-home care arrangement (foster/kinship care, group homes or refuges), e.g. provide documentation from supporting department or agency, letters from case workers, copy of discharge documents or similar.
- be able to demonstrate financial disadvantage through receipt of a means-tested Centrelink benefit.
As part of the application process, you will need to provide supporting documentation to confirm your circumstances. Your application will not be considered complete until you upload your documentation.
The supporting documentation for this scholarship includes evidence of your financial hardship.
You will also need to provide evidence that you are residing in an out-of-care arrangement.
You'll be required to write a yearly statement highlighting the impact receiving this support has had on you personally and on your studies during the year.
How to apply
You can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
Applying for a scholarship isn’t just about meeting the eligibility criteria. It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
Finding out if you're successful
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the details you provide and your supporting documentation.
You’ll find out if you were successful within six weeks after applications close.