Deakin Sanctuary Scholarship (for asylum seekers and refugees on temporary visas)
Deakin is committed to providing access to higher education for students seeking asylum or from refugee backgrounds residing in Australia on temporary visas who could not otherwise afford the cost of university study.
Value and duration
100% of your tuition fees and an additional $4000 per year and where needed on a needs basis an English language course.
Normal duration of the course
29 August 2017
5 December 2017
All Deakin University scholarships have eligibility criteria.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must be:
- an International student who holds a Temporary Protection visa or a Safe Haven Enterprise Visa or be an asylum seeker on Bridging Visa A (BVA) or E (BVE)
- a student commencing your on campus (located) studies in Trimester 1 2018 at Deakin University
- studying full time
- eligible for entry into an award course at Deakin University.
Special conditions apply for the scholarship:
- The applicant must apply for course admission before their scholarship application can be assessed. Any scholarship offer will be conditional on receiving a course offer, acceptance and enrolment into an undergraduate degree course in 2018.
- This scholarship cannot be deferred or intermitted.
- The recipient must satisfy all requirements for admission into an undergraduate degree.
- Payment is subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- Holders of the Deakin Sanctuary Scholarship must inform Deakin immediately when their visa changes.
How to apply
Apply direct to Deakin
You can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
How to write a successful application:
Applying for a scholarship isn't just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship - it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
As part of the application process, you will also be required to upload supporting documentation.
Make sure you choose the correct Document type - 'Deakin Sanctuary Scholarship only - Evidence of your visa and applicant statement' when you upload your documents - it will make a difference.
If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect type they will not be considered when assessing your application. Remember it is quality, not quantity, which you need to provide. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
Supporting documentation should include:
- a copy of your visa
- statement of recommendation from a school or community leader (not a family member)
- other referee statements which could support your application
Finding out if you're successful
At the latest, you will know the outcome of your application within 3 weeks of the December closing date.
For further information please contact Deakin Scholarship's Office on:
Ph: 9244 6333