Value and duration
Various options for support are available:
- $10,000 per year for the normal duration of your course or
- $7500 per year for the normal duration of your course or
- $5000 per year for the normal duration of your course or
- $2500 per year for the normal duration of your course or
- $1000 one off payment.
- $1000 scholarship is paid as a lump-sum payment
- Others provide ongoing support to help with your study costs.
Trimester/Semester 2 2018
6 June 2018
Trimester/Semester 2 2018
11 July 2018
We will commence offering scholarships shortly after the application closing date and continue making offers until all scholarships are awarded.
All Deakin University scholarships have eligibility criteria.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must be:
- an Australian citizen or hold an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- commencing or currently enrolled in an associate, bachelor or honours degree in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) or postgraduate by coursework degree (CSP or full fee)
- enrolled at Deakin University in any trimester/semester of the 2018 academic year
- enrolled full time unless there are circumstances preventing full-time study
- experiencing financial and personal hardship or a long term medical condition.
Areas of hardship
Areas of hardship can include:
- financial hardship – be receiving a means-tested Centrelink benefit or can demonstrate personal or family taxable income below the HELP repayment threshold, depending on independence status
- regional or remote home location
- disability/long term medical condition
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background
- recent refugee
- other demonstrable hardship.
If you are enrolled in an approved part-time course load the payment amount will be prorated based on the number of credit points you study.
How to apply
You can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
One application for three scholarships:
If you follow the steps and select the 'Deakin Funded Scholarships Program' option your application will automatically be considered for the Deakin Scholarship for Excellence and Deakin Student Support Scholarship in the selection process. This reduces the number of scholarships you have to apply for and increases your chances of receiving a Deakin scholarship.
How to write a successful application:
Applying for a scholarship isn't just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
As part of the application process you will also be required to upload supporting documentation.
Make sure you choose the correct document type when you upload your documents as it will make a difference. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect type they will not be considered when assessing your application. Remember it is quality, not quantity, which you need to provide. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
The supporting documentation required includes:
- evidence of your financial hardship
- evidence of your medical condition
- evidence of your other hardship
Finding out if you're successful
You'll find out if you were successful usually within six weeks of the final application closing date. You can see the status of your application via your Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal account.