PhD scholarship - Australia, India and the postwar world

A PhD scholarship is available in Deakin University's School of Humanities and Social Sciences. The PhD student, under the guidance of the Chief Investigator, will initiate and conduct research on the topic of ‘Australia, India and the postwar world’ led by Professor David Lowe.

The project will include time spent in India working with Deakin's Indian Thinker in Residence, Dr Srinath Raghavan, Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi. The project will commence in 2017.

Research topic

Australia, India and the postwar world.

Project aim

This opportunity is located within a project considering the ways in which Australia and India negotiated new relationships with a decolonising world after the Second World War.

The project considers Australian-Indian relations, but also Australia and India in the broader context of new manifestations of regionalism and internationalism, new diplomatic forums and the growth of Australian and Indian international activities, both government and non-government.

Value and duration


  • A stipend of $26,682 (2017 rate) per annum tax exempt
  • A relocation allowance up to $1,500 (2017 rate) awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
  • Paid sick, maternity and parental leave


3 years

Important dates

Opening date

 Now open

Closing date

 28 February 2017

Eligibility criteria

  • Applicants must meet Deakin's PhD entry requirements, be enrolling full-time and hold an Honours degree (First Class) or a Master's degree with a substantial research component in a related field. Please refer to the entry pathways to higher degrees by research for further information.
  • Applications are open to Australian/New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents.

How to apply

Before applying, please contact  Prof. David Lowe via email or phone (+61 3 5227 2691), or Lisa Morwood via email or phone (+61 3 5227 1254) to discuss your research interests and project proposal. 

Once you've done that, you can apply via the how to apply for a research degree page.