HDR Scholarship - Research Training Program Scholarship (RTP) / Deakin University Postgraduate Research Scholarship (DUPR)
The RTP scholarships (previously APA) are funded by the Australian Government, while the DUPR scholarships are funded by Deakin University. Both awards are available to domestic and international students. Only top-ranked applicants will be offered an RTP.
Value and Duration
Stipend and Allowances Value (Terms and Conditions apply)
- A stipend of $26,682 per annum tax exempt (2017 rate)
- A relocation allowance from $500 to $1,500 awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
- For international students only: overseas health coverage for the duration of the tuition fees offset.
Doctoral Degree Duration
- 3 years for stipend and 4 years for the tuition fees offset.
Research Master Degree Duration
- 2 years for stipend and 2 years for the tuition fees offset.
|Opening and closing dates|
Refer to How to apply webpage
- To be eligible for an RTP Stipend, RTP Fees Offset, RTP Allowance or DUPRS a student must be a domestic or international student enrolled in an HDR course of study at Deakin University
- To be eligible for an RTP Fees Offset an applicant must not be receiving an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth designed to offset HDR fees
- To be eligible for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend a student must not be receiving income from another source to support that student’s general living costs while undertaking their course of study if that income is greater than 75 per cent of that student’s RTP or DUPRS Stipend rate. Income unrelated to the student’s course of study or income received for the student’s course of study but not for the purposes of supporting general living costs is not to be taken into account.
- Please refer to our entry pathways to higher degrees by research page for information on admission requirements to a HDR course at Deakin University.
- Terms and conditions for each scholarship are detailed in the Further Information section below. For information about our RTP Scholarship Policy please refer to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Scholarships Procedure.
- RTP and DUPRS Stipends will be awarded to students as the result of a competitive process outlined in the ranking guidelines as below.
- Students receiving an RTP or DUPRS Stipend will be enrolled as on-campus full-time students.
- Applicants for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend must have completed at least four years of tertiary education studies and achieved a first class Honours degree or equivalent level of academic achievement as approved by Deakin, and meet all other minimum entry requirements according to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Admission, Selection and Enrolment Procedure. Please refer to our entry pathways to higher degrees by research page for more information.
- Current students can apply for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend and will be assessed by the Faculty/Institute. Current students may not apply after they have completed more than 3 years of their doctoral course or 2 years of their masters course (or part-time equivalent).
- For information about the RTP Fees Offset selection process and the offer process for all scholarships please refer to our Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Scholarships Procedure
How to apply
- Please refer to the How to apply webpage for application information.
Current Deakin research students:
- Complete the Current Student Scholarship Application Form as below and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your original candidature application and any new information(s) provided in the form will be used for Scholarship assessment. If there are any relevant attachments please email with the application.
- The application will be assessed in the next available round for your Faculty/Institute as refer to How to apply webpage.
- If you have applied for an HDR scholarship previously, you need to demonstrate that you have achieved significant research outcomes beyond the basic expectations of your candidature progression since your last application.
For more information please email