Westpac Bicentennial Foundation Young Technologist Scholarships
Do you have a head full of ideas about how to energise the Australian technological and digital landscape – but don’t have the finances to undertake the study you need? One of three Westpac Bicentennial Foundation Young Technologist Scholarships could be yours.
Value and duration
Cash payment of $5,000 per year
Additional benefits include attending the Annual Scholarship Summit in Sydney, opportunities for informal networking events, seminars, peer mentoring and may include an International Study Tour.
Up to 3 years, subject to satisfactory academic performance. For scholarship holders studying double-degrees the duration may be longer (up to 5 years).
|Opening date||29 August 2016|
|Closing date||28 February 2017 at 5 pm|
All Deakin University scholarships have eligibility criteria.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- be a commencing student enrolled for the first time at Deakin University in your first year of your Bachelor of Computer Science, Bachelor of Information Technology or Bachelor of Information Systems in Trimester 1, 2017
- be enrolled full time in a Commonwealth-supported place
- have a minimum ATAR of 65
- display an interest in enhancing Australia's technology or digital landscape
- be able to demonstrate you are in receipt of a means-tested Centrelink benefit or have a personal or combined family taxable income below the HECS-HELP repayment threshold, depending on independence status.
If you're successful in your application for this scholarship, there are a few conditions you’ll need to meet once it’s been awarded. You'll need to:
- maintain a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 65 for the duration of the scholarship
- provide a yearly impact statement for the duration of the scholarship
- authorise Deakin University to release academic results to the Westpac Bicentennial Fund
- be an active Westpac Alumni member, which includes commitment for at least the first twelve months after the scholarship to share experiences, attend Alumni events and promote the scholarship within Deakin University
- complete a report or story including photos of experiences to promote the program to stakeholder groups, including student material, annual reports, marketing etc.
- consent to being publicly acknowledged
- not defer the scholarship
- not hold another similar scholarship at the same time
- complete the study load in the agreed time and maintain the WAM or your scholarship may be revoked.
How to apply
Apply direct to Deakin
You can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
Applicants may be required to attend an interview as part of the selection process.
How to write a successful application:
Applying for a scholarship isn't just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
When you apply for this scholarship, you'll need to provide:
- evidence of your financial hardship
- a brief cover letter
- your resume
- an outline of interest and involvement in technology and/or the digital landscape
- a copy of your academic records or projected ATAR marks as verified by your high school
- a one-page outline of how the scholarship will assist you in your career ambitions.
You might also like to use video or images to express your creativity in your application.
Note: To submit supporting documentation when you apply through Deakin's applicant portal, please select the document type 'referee or other related statement' to upload your supporting document.
Finding our if you're successful
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the details you provide and your supporting documentation. Shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete a separate application form within six weeks of the scholarship closing date.
If you want to learn more about the scholarship, make sure you check out Westpac on social media.