How to supply supporting documentation
Domestic undergraduate and postgraduate by coursework students
When you submit your scholarship application online via the Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal, you will need to submit your supporting documents by the Upload Documents option at the top of the Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal screen.
Make sure you choose the correct Document type when you upload your documents. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect Document type category they will not be considered when assessing your application.
For your application to be considered, you must submit your documentation before the closing date of the relevant scholarship.
If you're a research student applying for a research scholarship, you'll need to apply via the online Higher Degree By Research Application Form. You'll be required to attach a number of certified supporting documents, in addition to your research proposal and referee reports.
If you’re an international student applying for a scholarship or bursary, you must send your supporting documents to Deakin International Admissions.
Due date for documents
The due date for supporting documents is the same as the scholarship closing date listed in the undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships sections. Supporting documents submitted after the closing date of the scholarship will not be accepted and your application won't be considered.
Submitting false supporting documents
Don’t do it! If you do, you’ll be referred to your Faculty Student Misconduct Committee. Making a false statutory declaration is an act of perjury, which is a criminal offence, and the penalties can be severe.
Supporting documents required for financial hardship
If you told us you are experiencing financial hardship in your application, you will need to provide evidence of this. The following documents can be used as evidence of financial hardship:
You currently receive a means-tested Centrelink benefit
You must provide a Centrelink income statement which you can download from your Centrelink online account.
The income statement must:
- be a recent statement (dated in the last two weeks)
- show your correct name and address
- indicate the benefit you receive (this should be the same as in your application)
- show the payment amount(s) and date(s) of your benefit.
Please note: Family Tax Benefit statements are not acceptable as this benefit is based on estimated taxable income and not actual taxable income.
You have a current Healthcare Card
Take a copy of your card and upload it. Your card must show your name and the expiry date.
You are self-supporting with an income below $56,000
If you’re supporting yourself and have an income under $56,000 you’ll also need to download and provide a statutory declaration.
In the statutory declaration you must:
- declare you are self-supporting
- declare your income for the last financial year
- provide an estimate of your income for the current financial year.
You are supported by your family with a combined income below $56,000
If you’re supported by your family or partner and you have a combined income under $56,000, you’ll also need to download and provide a statutory declaration.
In the statutory declaration you must:
- declare you are financially dependent and list the names of those who provide for your financial support
- declare your combined income (your income plus the income of those who provide your financial support) for the last financial year
- provide a combined estimate of your income and those who provide your financial support for the current financial year.
Supporting documents required for a disability or medical condition
If you've told us about a disability or medical condition in your application, you will need to provide evidence of this. The following documents can be used as evidence of your medical condition:
You’ll need to provide a one page letter from your doctor that:
- confirms the information that you have provided in your application
- indicates the level of impact your disability or medical condition has had/will have on your studies.
A Learning Access Plan from the Disability Resource Centre is also acceptable.
Non-specific or generic medical documents such as prescriptions, hospital admission forms or special consideration forms will not be accepted.
Other forms of disadvantage documentation required
If you’re from a rural or regional area, you don’t need to provide evidence of this – the postcode you’ve provided on your course application or have detailed in StudentConnect will be used.
If you’re finding it difficult to provide evidence of your disadvantage, simply submit a statement of support.
The statement of support must:
- be written by a lawyer/solicitor, accountant, religious or community leader, school principal or teacher who is qualified to comment on your circumstances
- be as specific as possible about what you’re experiencing and the impact on your studies
- contain an original signature and be in PDF format.
Supporting documentation for the Deakin Humanitarian Scholarship
You will need to provide the following documents for your application to be considered:
- a copy of your visa
- statement of recommendation from a school or community leader (not a family member)
- other referee statement which could support your application
Remember you want to provide clear and concise documents.
Supporting documents for community or volunteer involvement
If you have participated in community and volunteer activities, you will need to provide evidence of this involvement. It can be a certificate of participation or a statement or letter of support by a nominee of the organisation or program.
The statement must:
- confirm your level of involvement in the organisation or program by someone in a position of responsibility from that organisation
- be from the community/volunteer organisation or program mentioned in your application.
The documents you need to provide must be current, concise and relevant. Try to avoid submitting multiple certificates/documents or certificates/documents older than two years.
Supporting documents for leadership activities or achievements
If you have participated in leadership activities or have been acknowledged for specific achievements, you will need to provide evidence of these. It can be a certificate of participation or a statement of support by a nominee of the school, program or activity.
The statement must:
- confirm your leadership or achievements at the school, program or activity by someone in a position of responsibility from that group
- be from the school/community/volunteer organisation, elite sports program or program or activity mentioned in your application.
The documents you need to provide must be current, concise and relevant. Try to avoid submitting multiple documents or documents older than two years.
Supporting documentation for elite sporting activities
If you have participated in elite sporting activities you will need to provide evidence of this. Generally we would be looking for a letter from the President of your sporting club or similar position or organisation confirming your achievements.
Do not provide certificates of your sporting achievement.
The letter you need to provide must be current, concise and relevant. Try to avoid submitting multiple documents or documents older than two years.
Supporting statement for your application
Referee statements can provide evidence of your personal attributes, academic potential or professional contributions. Your referee can be an employer, a member of a school, organisation or community program, or a person known to you. Nominated referees cannot be family members or friends.
The referee statement must:
- be a letter of support that confirms your personal attributes, academic potential or professional contributions
- be written by an employer, a member of a school, organisation or community program, or a person known to you and cannot be a family member or friend
- contain your referee's original signature and be in PDF format.
If you need help with the types of documents you need to supply, please contact the Scholarships and Financial Assistance team.
+61 3 9244 6333
Email Deakin Scholarships