AIB310 - Introduction to Translation Skills
|Year||2017 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Cloud (online)|
AIB306 or AIB352 or equivalent
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
Written sources will include Modern Standard Arabic discourse material. These will offer a wide range of subjects, register and style. Selection of current affairs material from a variety of sources will be examined in order to acquaint students with a wide range of lexical and idiomatic variants.
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- Oral and written translation exercises. These will cover a wide range of domains such as legal, health, welfare, immigration, etc.
- Translation Project. Each student is given a passage of about 500-550 words in each language to be
translated into the other language. The class is provided with a copy of each student's translation and this is presented as a seminar by each student in turn. At this point the student has to provide his peers with reasons for particular choices in translation and answers questions from the whole class.
- Concept of equivalence, register, idiomatic usage, contrastive approaches as an element of translation.
- Use of dictionaries and reference materials.
- Some theoretical consideration in translation.
Continuous Translation Assessment 40%
Translation Project A: translation into Arabic 1500 words (including critical introduction) 40%
Translation Project B: translation into English 500 words (including critical introduction) 20%
Unit Fee Information
Click on the fee link below which describes you: