Return to previous page

HMO204 - Principles and Practice of Optometry 1

Unit details

Year2018 unit information
Enrolment modes:Trimester 1: Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Credit point(s):2
EFTSL value:0.250
Cohort rule:

Must be enrolled in D302 Bachelor of Vision Science/Master of Optometry

Unit chair:

Serap Azizoglu


All of HBS107, HBS108, HMO101, HMO102, HMO201, MAA103, SLE111 and
HBS110 or HMO103 and
MMM132 or HMO105 and
SLE211 or HMO104 and
SLE221 or HMO202 and
One of SLE131 or SLE133 or SLE155



Incompatible with:


Contact hours:

3 x 2 hour clinical skills practicals; and 1 x 2 hour opthalmic dispensing workshops per week for 10 weeks of trimester. 1 x 8 hour Transition to Clinical Practice workshop and up to 40 hours of clinical placements across the trimester


In this unit students will gain skills in simple history-taking and patient examination. They will also be introduced to other competencies defined by the Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand (OCANZ) including diagnosis, patient management; recording of clinical data and an introduction to the practical application of ophthalmic dispensing principles. They will explore legal and ethical issues drawn from the problem-based learning cases presented in HMO203 and gain knowledge and skills in professional practice associated with the cases. Finally they will consider the public and population health implications in identifying and managing the conditions presented in the cases. Transition to clinical practice will introduce students to clinical teaching concepts in preparation for ophthalmic care delivery.


Assessment task 1: 5 x objective structured practical examination stations (OSPREs) across trimester 50% in total with equal weighting, with passing each a hurdle requirement


Assessment task 2: Practical dispensing assessment (20 mins) 15%


Assessment task 3: Team poster presentation (10 minutes - 15%) and team video presentation (5 minutes - 10%) on mechanisms of refractive error; total 25%


Assessment task 4: Ongoing completion of a reflective clinical logbook is a hurdle requirement - 10 assessed individual reflections 10%


Hurdle requirements

  • Ongoing completion of a reflective clinical logbook, as above
  • Successful completion of Professionalism and Placement (P & P) requirements, as defined in the Optometry P & P guide

Unit Fee Information

Click on the fee link below which describes you:

Return to previous page