Return to previous page

HSH724 - Healthy Cities and Urban Communities

Unit details

Year2018 unit information
Enrolment modes:Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)
Credit point(s):1
EFTSL value:0.125
Unit chair:

Fiona Andrews





Incompatible with:


Contact hours:

Campus: 5 x 2 hour campus seminars. Class material posted on CloudDeakin

Cloud (online): Online independent and collaborative learning activities including 3 scheduled online seminars


This unit will investigate cities and urban developments as settings for health. It will provide students with an understanding of the key health issues for urban dwellers at the global and local levels, existing approaches to addressing these, along with new and emerging approaches. Topics to be addressed include: the history of urban public health, ecological public health perspectives, urban health inequities, the WHO Healthy Cities program, UN Principles for Healthy and Sustainable Places, new approaches and challengers for developing health urban environments. The unit will take an interdisciplinary learning approach embracing the contributions that both public health and urban planning make to improving the lives of urban dwellers.


Assessment task 1: Group assignment 30%; plus individual reflection (1000 words) 20% - total 50%

Assessment task 2: Individual assignment (2500 words) 50%

Unit Fee Information

Click on the fee link below which describes you:

Return to previous page