Master of Arts
Course summary for current students
|Year||2016 course information|
|Award granted||Master of Arts|
|Campus||Offered at Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool|
2 years full time or part time equivalent
|CRICOS course code||001869E|
|Deakin course code||A800|
Undertake supervised research in arts and contribute to your chosen discipline area.
This is an exciting opportunity to thoroughly immerse yourself in an interesting topic – all the while learning research and analytical skills to apply in your professional life.
You’ll complete a thesis of 40,000-50 000 words, embodying the results of research carried out in your chosen field of study. You may submit a thesis comprising creative works and an exegesis of no fewer than 10,000-12 000 words.
The Master of Arts is conducted under the supervision of a panel, chaired by an experienced principal supervisor. If you show significant promise as a research student, you might be invited to apply to enrol in the Doctor of Philosophy program.
Supervision is available in most discipline areas offered by the Faculty. Contact the Higher Degree by Research Officer on Tel 03 5227 2226 or email
Deakin University offers scholarships for study towards higher degrees by research. For further information, contact the Research Scholarships Officer, telephone 03 5227 3492 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fees and charges
This section is for:
- all Commonwealth Supported Place students, or
- domestic fee-paying undergraduate students, or
- all domestic and International students who commenced in 2015 or before.
Your course tuition fees are calculated based on the units you study. The cost of each unit can be viewed by looking up your units in the Handbook Unit Search under the 'Unit based calculation'.
* The Commonwealth supported place (CSP) indicative annual course fee shown in the table below is provided as a guide only. It has been calculated on the basis of a typical enrolment of a student undertaking the course in 2015, and reflects the cost involved in undertaking full-time study within the specified discipline. The actual fees charged by Deakin University, will depend on the individual unit discipline and may vary from the indicative course fee cited, particularly if units are chosen from a number of disciplines.
This section is for:
- all International students who commenced in 2016 or after, or
- all postgraduate domestic student who commenced in 2016 or after.
Your course tuition fees are calculated based on the course you study. The following rates apply:
|Commonwealth Supported Place (indicative)*||Domestic Fee Paying||International Fee Paying|
|Not applicable||Not applicable||$24,120|
The rates shown are based on eight credit points (which equals one Equivalent Full Time Study Load - EFTSL). If your study load for the year is less than or more than eight credit points, your fees will be adjusted accordingly. The credit point and EFTSL value of each unit can be viewed by looking up your units in the Handbook Unit Search. To calculate the fee for each unit, take the applicable course fee above, divide it by eight, then multiply it by the credit point of the unit you are studying.
A candidate is required to complete a thesis of 40 000-50 000 words, embodying the results of research carried out in the field of study specified at the time of enrolment. Candidates in the arts may submit a thesis comprising creative works and an exegesis of no fewer than 10 000-12 000 words. After a suitable qualifying period, generally at or post colloquium, Master of Arts candidates showing significant promise as research students may apply to transfer their enrolment to the Doctor of Philosophy program. Transfer is dependent on meeting the required academic standard and full support from your principal supervisor.