Doctor of Philosophy
Course summary for current students
|Year||2016 course information|
|Award granted||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Campus||Offered at Burwood (Melbourne), Waterfront (Geelong), Warrnambool|
3 -4 years full time or part time equivalent
|CRICOS course code||006249D|
|Deakin course code||M900|
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is a supervised research program where you’ll make a substantial, original contribution to knowledge in your chosen field.
This degree may be undertaken in Deakin Business School or Deakin Law School. An expert member of the academic staff will be appointed as your principal supervisor. As well as your thesis, you’ll also be required to complete a number of coursework units and meet certain attendance requirements.
Deakin currently has around 1,600 higher degree by research candidates – intelligent people making the most of our excellent facilities, partnerships, strategic research centres and excellent reputation.
For more information about areas in which supervision is available please contact:
Research Administration Group
Tel 03 5227 2442
Deakin University offers scholarships for study towards research doctoral degrees in all faculties. Information is available from:
University Scholarships Officer
Tel 03 5227 3492
Fees and charges
This section is for:
- all Commonwealth Supported Place students, or
- domestic fee-paying undergraduate students, or
- all domestic and International students who commenced in 2015 or before.
Your course tuition fees are calculated based on the units you study. The cost of each unit can be viewed by looking up your units in the Handbook Unit Search under the 'Unit based calculation'.
* The Commonwealth supported place (CSP) indicative annual course fee shown in the table below is provided as a guide only. It has been calculated on the basis of a typical enrolment of a student undertaking the course in 2015, and reflects the cost involved in undertaking full-time study within the specified discipline. The actual fees charged by Deakin University, will depend on the individual unit discipline and may vary from the indicative course fee cited, particularly if units are chosen from a number of disciplines.
This section is for:
- all International students who commenced in 2016 or after, or
- all postgraduate domestic student who commenced in 2016 or after.
Your course tuition fees are calculated based on the course you study. The following rates apply:
|Commonwealth Supported Place (indicative)*||Domestic Fee Paying||International Fee Paying|
|Not applicable||Not applicable||$27,320|
The rates shown are based on eight credit points (which equals one Equivalent Full Time Study Load - EFTSL). If your study load for the year is less than or more than eight credit points, your fees will be adjusted accordingly. The credit point and EFTSL value of each unit can be viewed by looking up your units in the Handbook Unit Search. To calculate the fee for each unit, take the applicable course fee above, divide it by eight, then multiply it by the credit point of the unit you are studying.