Master of Biotechnology (Honours)
Course summary for current students
|Award granted||Master of Biotechnology (Honours)|
|Duration||2 years full-time or part-time equivalent|
|CRICOS course code||075864J|
|Deakin course code||S771|
Note: Offered to continuing students only.
Continuing students should contact their course advisor for further information.
Further course structure information can be found in the handbook archive.
This cutting-edge course provides hands-on experience of the latest techniques in biotechnology research as well as up-to-date bio-processing and production technologies involving mammalian cells, stem cells and other cultures.
Students will gain experience operating cell-culture bioreactors similar to those in industrial-scale production facilities. An important component of this course is that each unit includes industry involvement through guest lecturers who bring an industry perspective of research and commercialisation into the biotechnology environment. Industry involvement will also include on-site visits for some units. The core units in this course cover a wide range of emerging topics in biotechnology and, importantly, business skills.
The Master of Biotechnology (Honours) has a strong industry focus and students undertake 8 credit points in Industry-Linked Research Project units.
Graduates may choose to articulate into a higher degree by research. Alternatively, students may choose to early exit with a Graduate Certificate or Master of Biotechnology.
Units in the course may include assessment hurdle requirements.
Fees and charges
Unit fees can be viewed within individual unit descriptions. You can search for a unit using the Unit Search.
Please be aware:
- Fees are calculated on a per unit basis
- Fees charged will depend on the individual units chosen
- Fees per unit/credit point may increase annually due to rises in the cost of course delivery and services
The course comprises a total of 16 credit points, which must include the following:
- 8 core units
- 8 credit points Industry-Linked Research Project units (4 credit points each)
|SLE701||Foundations of Biotechnology|
|SLE702||Bioinformatics, Proteomics and Genomics|
|SLE704||Cellular Biology and Immunology|
|SLE705||Biopharmaceuticals and Medical Devices|
|SLE706||Frontier Techniques in Biotechnology and Nanotechnology|
|SLE712||Laboratory Techniques for Cellular and Molecular Biotechnology|
|SLE713||Industrial and Analytical Techniques in Biotechnology|
Industry-Linked Research Project Units
|SLE710||Industry-Linked Research Project A* (4 cps)|
|SLE730||Industry-Linked Research Project B* (4 cps)|
* Please contact the Unit Chair prior to enrolling in the Industry-Linked Research Project unit. Students would normally be expected to have an approved academic standard of 65% and above and an available project and supervisor. Attendance to classes throughout the course will be highly considered when an industry-linked research project is offered to a student.