ACC700 - Communication and Creative Arts Internship
|Year||2015 unit information|
Trimester 1, Trimester 2 and Trimester 3 2015: Internship unit
|Unit chair:||R Monaghan|
Must have completed or be in process of completing 7 credit points in the Master of Communication or Master of Arts (Writing and Literature) and obtain permission from the unit chair.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 100 hours in conjunction with host organisation.
Interested students should:
a) Check the process and eligibility on Faculty Student Mobility website information (http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/internships/) and submit Expression of Interest to Unit Chair
b) Complete the pre internship modules: https://d2l.deakin.edu.au/login.asp?target=/d2l/lms/legacy/selfregistration.d2l?ou=6605 (strongly advised, to assist in preparing for internship)
c) Liaise with the Unit Chair for internship advice and permission to apply
d) Confirm internship with Faculty Student Mobility to complete enrolment.
You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability is a condition on your enrolment.
The Internship unit offers students an opportunity to gain first hand work experience in a region or employment sector closely associated with topics studied at university, and to explore the practical applications of their academic study. It also provides professional experience that may assist them to further their career goals. Students are expected to complete a minimum of 100 hours of work experience in their chosen site. The unit provides a framework for student assessment of their knowledge, skills and work choices in relation to the practices and implementation of selected topics in Communication, Writing and Literature, and Creative Arts.
The unit combines workplace experience with an academic component that promotes reflection and analysis.
During the internship students will be required to:
- Complete a preliminary briefing session incorporating oral and written presentation skills, expectations of the professional creative industries workplace, planning and time management, reporting requirements
- Problem solving and negotiation
- Develop a profile of the organisation or workplace setting and conduct interviews with expert practitioners
- Develop a project, outline a sequence of specified tasks, and assess the process and outcomes of the project and/or internship experience
- Present both oral and written outcomes of the project and/or internship experience
Students are responsible for:
- Negotiating their internship details with the host organisation or creative industry representative
- Travel to, from and during their internship
- Completing all assessment requirements to a professional standard
- Completing all relevant administrative paperwork
Initial report including position application, industry scan and workplace-oriented negotiation scenario: equivalent 1500 words 35%
Internship Analysis Report online/oral presentation: 15 minutes equivalent 1000 words 15%
Evaluative Internship Project Review: 2500 words 50%
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.