ADS753 - International and Community Development Internship
Trimester 1, Trimester 2 and Trimester 3 Internship unit
|Previously coded as:|
|Unit chair:||P Connors|
The internship unit is subject to completion of core units and has special application requirements. Students should contact the unit chair in the first instance for further information.
Internship enrolment is subject to completion of specified prerequisite units and special application requirements. Interested students should look at the Faculty Student Mobility website information (http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/internships/) and are strongly advised to complete the pre internship modules:https://d2l.deakin.edu.au/login.asp?target=/d2l/lms/legacy/selfregistration.d2l?ou=6605
You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
The Internship unit offers students an opportunity to gain first hand work experience in a region or employment sector closely associated with topics studied at university, and to explore the practical applications of their academic study. Students are expected to complete a minimum of 300 hours (40 x 7.5) or 8 weeks full-time (or part time equivalent) of work experience in their chosen site. The unit provides a framework for student assessment of their knowledge, skills and work choices in relation to the practices and implementation of selected topics in International and Community Development.The structure of the unit includes:
- Pre-placement planning and organisation, including recommended reading,
- In field contact and ongoing reporting via journal and CloudDeakin discussions,
- Post fieldwork project report.
- Initial interviews to establish the student’s needs and areas of employment interest
- Agreement on placement,
- Briefing by the supervisor on the tasks outlined in the project, and the focus of major assessment
- Academic supervision is conducted using a range of asynchronous and synchronous online technologies and individual mentoring as required.
Students enrolled in this unit receive an ungraded pass/fail result based on assessment of the following:
Pre-departure report (1500) words
- Details of organisation in which internship is to be undertaken
- The nature of the work experience; supervision arrangements; accommodation
- How the internship relates to the student’s current course of study
- How the internship may contribute to career possibilities and expectations.
Project diary (2500) words
- Summarises daily tasks and internship projects
- Summarises personal responses to the workplace; cultural and social experiences.
Project report (6000) words
- Summarises the internship experience (analyses the structure and culture of the Internship; specific tasks undertaken; evaluates obstacles encountered and solutions found)
- Outlines what the student learnt from the internship
- Demonstrates how the student met objectives outlined prior to commencing the Internship
- Explains how the internship relates to the student’s programme of study and expected career.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.