AIM717 - Heritage in the Field
|Unit chair:||S Cooke|
Note:(i) Students must contact the unit chair prior to enrolling in this unit.
(ii) This unit may not be taken as part of courses A529 or A585.
(iii) This unit may not be taken in the first trimester of enrolment in a Cultural Heritage or Museum Studies course.
(iv) Students may need to fund their own travel and accommodation costs.
(v) Students who have already completed AIM724 or AIM711 should seek approval from the Course Director for their study plan, prior to enrolling in this unit.
(vi) Online teaching methods require internet access. Please refer to the most current computer specifications.
This unit allows students to develop knowledge and skills through experiential learning. The learning occurs through programs and projects that are available in locations external to Deakin. Subject to approval from the Unit Chair, students may undertake the unit through participation in an appropriate program, such as:
- Internships and practical placements in Australia or internationally. This may include UNESCO, ICOMOS or other internships, archaeological site excavations, or placements in professionally-staffed museum or heritage organisations. Internships and practical placements involve working on one or more projects, as agreed with the host institution. Students are required to spend a minimum of 10 working days on the placement. This can be undertaken full-time (e.g. over a minimum of two weeks) or on a part-time basis.
- In-country study tours. Such tours are conducted by Deakin staff, usually during the Australian summer. Recent tours have been to China and Laos.
- In-country educational programs. Student participation in these programs is coordinated by Deakin staff. The programs provide study opportunities in conjunction with partner educational institutions outside Australia.
- Other projects or programs that may arise from time to time.
AssessmentOne preparatory assignment 1000 words 20%, journal or field report 1500 words 30%, essay 2500 words 50%.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Student Contribution Rate***||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2010
** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2009
*** Student contribution rate for Commonwealth Supported students who commenced studies from 2008
**** Fee rate for students who commenced studies from 2005
***** Fee rate for students who commenced studies from 2006
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.