AIM723 - Heritage Interpretation
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||S Cooke|
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
Campus: Students are required to attend a 2 day a week intensive for 3 weeks.
Module 1: Planning Integrated Programs
- Definitions of interpretation
- Introduction to principles of, and approaches to, learning in a preservation environment
- The role of visitor research
- Outline of communication techniques and activities
- Establishing objectives and developing ideas and themes
- Setting selection criteria for interpretive media
Module 2: On-site Programs
- The design and implementation of a range of public programs that communicate the significance of collections and sites. Examples might include:
- presentations such as guided tours, talks by professional staff and classes;
- 'meet the curator', 'behind-the-scenes' tours and 'hands-on' activities;
- audio-visual, sound and light and multi-media; involving volunteers;
- programs for schools and other educational audiences;
- performances, literary events and drawing.
Module 3: Off-site Programs
- The design and implementation of a range of public programs that communicate the significance of collections and sites to audiences beyond the walls of a museum or the boundaries of a site. Examples might include:
- outreach programs for particular communities; enthusiast tours, expeditions and field trips;
- role of publications;
- use of web-sites for interpretive programs;
- special events and celebrations.
Assignment 1: Essay, 2500 words, 50%.
Assignment 2: Interpretation plan (PowerPoint presentation), 2500 words, 50%.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.