ASC308 - Sociology and the Modern World
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||S Jacobs|
Campus: 1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 1 hour Seminar per week.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
Many sociologists envisage advanced societies entering a new phase, the transition from modernity to postmodernity. This unit examines theories of modern and postmodern societies. A range of illustrative social developments are studied through which the student will be able to:
- develop critical thinking through analytical and conceptual thought;
- practice interpretation of theoretical texts;
- demonstrate reasoned points of view;
- design and produce critical and evaluative written work;
- locate social theory within contemporary issues and critically evaluate its place in political and democratic traditions.
Essay 2000 words 50%, seminar paper 750 words and Seminar participation 15%, take home exam 35%.
Essay 2000 words 50%, online exercise (CloudDeakin site) 15%, take home exam 35%.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.