ASC308 - Sociology and the Modern World
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||S Jacobs|
Note:Online teaching methods require internet access. You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
Many sociologists envisage advanced societies entering a new phase, the transition from modernity to postmodernity. This unit examines theories of modern and postmodern societies. A range of illustrative social developments are studied through which the student will be able to:
- develop critical thinking through analytical and conceptual thought;
- practice interpretation of theoretical texts;
- demonstrate reasoned points of view;
- design and produce critical and evaluative written work;
- locate social theory within contemporary issues and critically evaluate its place in political and democratic traditions.
Essay 2000 words 50%, seminar paper 750 words and Seminar participation 15%, take home exam 35%.
Essay 2000 words 50%, online exercise (CloudDeakin site) 15%, take home exam 35%.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.