ASC308 - Sociology and the Modern World
|Year||2017 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
Campus: 1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 1 hour Seminar per week.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
Many sociologists envisage advanced societies entering a new phase, the transition from modernity to postmodernity. This unit examines theories of modern and postmodern societies. A range of illustrative social developments are studied through which the student will be able to:
- develop critical thinking through analytical and conceptual thought;
- practice interpretation of theoretical texts;
- demonstrate reasoned points of view;
- design and produce critical and evaluative written work;
- locate social theory within contemporary issues and critically evaluate its place in political and democratic traditions.
Class/Online Exercises, 15%
Essay, 50%, 2000 words
Unit Fee Information
Unit fee information available soon