ASC308 - Sociology and the Modern World
|Year||2016 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||S Jacobs|
Campus: 1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 1 hour Seminar per week.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin.
Many sociologists envisage advanced societies entering a new phase, the transition from modernity to postmodernity. This unit examines theories of modern and postmodern societies. A range of illustrative social developments are studied through which the student will be able to:
- develop critical thinking through analytical and conceptual thought;
- practice interpretation of theoretical texts;
- demonstrate reasoned points of view;
- design and produce critical and evaluative written work;
- locate social theory within contemporary issues and critically evaluate its place in political and democratic traditions.
Essay 2000 words 50%, seminar paper 750 words and Seminar participation 15%, take home exam 35%.
Essay 2000 words 50%, online exercise (CloudDeakin site) 15%, take home exam 35%.
Unit Fee Information
All Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), fee paying undergraduate and pre-2016 commencing students
Unit fee information available soon
2016 commencing International and full fee paying postgraduate domestic students
Your units are priced based on the course you are enrolled in. Please refer to the current year's course entry to estimate the unit cost.
You can calculate the cost of each unit by using the following calculation:
Course fee x unit EFTSL value = unit price